This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

With it already being November, it is already in the middle of the holiday season. With that said, Black Friday is right around the corner! This year, ditch the usual “I’m just going to go to the mall and wing it” attitude and strategize the best way to make the MOST out of the holiday! 

(Gif Credit: Giphy

Budget Yourself

It’s easy to get lost in the moment of swiping your credit card and not realizing exactly how much you actually just bought. The most important thing to do when Black Friday shopping: budget yourself. The best way to do this would be to take out cash because then you are limited to the amount you have brought. Gift cards are another great way to budget spending without having to take out the credit cards. Raise.com sells gift cards for a discounted price.

Check Online

Before hitting the mall, the first place to check is online. Many stores will begin advertising for Black Friday weeks in advance to notify online shoppers about their sales. However, the sales don’t usually begin until right at midnight. Checking the stores you are most interested online first will also notify you whether the sale is exclusively in-store or if it is online as well. 

(Gif Credit: Giphy)​

Newsletters

I know, newsletters from stores are annoying. We usually just put in our emails to get that 20% off the first purchase and never unsubscribe. If this situation applies to you, then read the newsletters! They are often filled with promotional codes and sales happening in the store. Newsletters will tell you what is on sale and when without having to do any of the work!

Do Some Research

There are websites dedicated to revealing Black Friday catalogues. If you do not know what you want to buy specifically but you’re itching for a good deal, go online and do some research through these catalogues. Blackfriday.com has leaked ad scans, which are online versions of many stores sale flyers and catalogues promoting their Black Friday deals. There are also websites and blogs that give many tips away to tackle the shopping holiday. Go online and browse away!

Do I Really Need It?

Ah, the age old question we ask ourselves all the time- do I really need this? When Black Friday shopping, ask yourself this question in two different ways. Ask yourself: Is this item necessary and am I really getting a good deal? A $5 shirt on sale for $3 from Forever 21 really isn’t saving you anything- Forever 21 always goes on sale and has promotions very similar all the time. Black Friday may be the time to consider larger purchases (purses, shoes, home appliances, etc.)- those are typically the ones that get the most savings.

(Gif Credit: Giphy) ​

No matter what, Black Friday is hectic. It is important to take note and strategize game plans to make the most of the holiday if you are shopping in store. Happy Shopping!

Emma is a sophomore at Florida International University studying Broadcast Media. She is from Miami and loves entertainment (music, tv shows, movies) and hopes to become an entertainment reporter after college. She is also involved on campus in her Panhellenic Council organization.