jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

As the semester continues to roll, it is safe to say that classes start to feel overwhelming, especially if the right preparation isn’t taken. Being a 15-credit hour student myself, I know the pressure of having to keep up to date with all the assignments, tests and projects given to college students. Staying on top of all these deadlines, especially when handling an internship or job, can be quite difficult. Here are some of the organizational skills that have helped me throughout the years and hopefully they can save you some headaches.

1. Plan it to the T

I plan anything and everything. No, this doesn’t mean I schedule the time I drink a glass of water; this just means I create a rough schedule of how my day will look like. My personal favorite type of planner is the Erin Condren ‘Everday Planner’ in the vertical style. This planner is a little pricey, but to me it is definitely worth every penny. If you don’t feel like splurging on what is essentially paper bound with a spiral, there are tons of other great planners. Check Target, Walmart and Michaels for a more inexpensive option.

2. Create to-do lists

To-do lists are another great way to stay on top of everything you need to get done. Essentially it’s the same as a planner, just a different style of writing it down. To-do lists are a way to feel productive and feel like you’re getting things done. You can check off items on your list as you go about your day and see what you still have to get done. A tip is to create a small, condensed to-do list of things you absolutely need to get done and a more thorough one where you include items that should get done, but do not have a tight deadline. If you create a list that’s too long, it is easy to feel overwhelmed and you are more prone to procrastinate.

3. Technology

If you don’t feel like writing things down or you feel like you won’t look at a planner or to-do list on an every day basis, use technology. Our phones are constantly on us and are an easy way to stay on task. Set reminders on your phone whenever there’s an important deadline or appointment you need to attend. You can also find apps that are available for either iOS or Android that help you stay organized.

When in doubt, there are tons of methods you can look into using YouTube, Pinterest, or good old Google.

Cover Photo

Desi