This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

What’s a better way to ring in the new year than to listen to some good tunes? Artists release snippets, singles, EP’s, and full-blown albums all the time. These are some of my favorites released this month. 

Zayn Malik – Nobody is Listening

Zayn Malik’s third studio album, Nobody is Listening, was released on January 15. As a former hard-core directioner (honestly, I still am), I will be staying up till midnight to have my own listening party for anything any of the former band members release. Nobody is Listening begins with a string of soft mumbles and continues with falsettos and high notes under an R&B sound. 

Jazmine Sullivan – Heaux Tales

Jazmine Sullivan’s fourth album, Heaux Tales, was released on January 8. This album was well-received, as it deserved, and was a great way to open up music this year. With collaborations including Ari Lennox, Anderson .Paak, and H.E.R., Jazmine Sullivan morphs her sound to produce sensual magic. This album is a collection of short stories, especially with half being interludes that highlight the women closest to her describing their experiences and insight into relationships. This album is truthful and needs to be heard. 

Olivia Rodrigo – Driver’s License

Everyone and their third distant cousin probably already knows about Olivia Rodrigo’s first debut single, Driver’s License, which was released on January 8. Within a week of its release Driver’s License received critical acclaim and was breaking records left and right. Even though Olivia Rodrigo is fairly new to the music world, she is proving to be a force to watch. She has previously released snippets of songs on her Instagram account and has written for the show she is on High School Musical: The Musical: The Series.

Saweetie – Best Friend (feat. Doja Cat)

“Beep-beep, is that my bestie in a Tessie?” Saweetie’s recent single, Best Friend, featuring Doja Cat, released on January 7, is the best friend anthem we needed. The duo calls out misogyny, hype each other’s success, exchange words of encouragement, and solidify the power of friendship. Saweetie and Doja cat were right, there is no one else I’d rather jump of a cliff with than my best friend. This single comes ahead of Saweetie’s next album, Pretty Bitch Music, scheduled to be released later this year.

Julien Baker – Hardline

Julien Baker’s new single, Hardline, released on January 13, has me looking out a foggy window contemplating where my life is headed. Though this might be a slight exaggeration, Julien Baker knows how to write down exactly what someone is feeling but doesn’t know how to express it. Hardlines is the newest track for her forthcoming album “Little Oblivions,” scheduled to be released on February 26. 

Billie Eilish, ROSALÍA – Lo Vas A Olvidar

I am a huge fan of the HBO show Euphoria, as I expect many people are. I am a fan of Billie Eilish and Rosalía, as again, I expect many people are. So what a pleasant surprise it was to find out that Euphoria was giving us a special Jules episode co-written by Hunter Schafer and including a collaboration between Billie Eilish and Rosalía. Lo Vas A Olvidar debuted early on HBO Max on January 22 before going on air on January 24. This song perfectly captures Jules and the entire show’s essence. 

Lidia (She/Her) is a senior majoring in Digital Communications and Media. When she is not petting dogs on the sidewalk or re-watching Harry Potter, she is scribbling away on any surface she can find. Lidia is passionate about writing critical and culturally relevant content.