This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Can you count the number of times you’ve been cat called? Or the amount of times you’ve felt unsafe walking near/between a group of men, while they stare at you like a piece of meat? How many times have people warned you not to go to a party alone or walk alone in the middle of the night because you’re a female?

Since the moment we started going through puberty we have been told to be careful with the opposite sex, and to always keep in mind of how they perceive us— “don’t wear this you look loose/slutty” “watch your mouth it makes you seem less lady-like” “be careful when going out by yourself men might want to take advantage of you”. We learn to adapt—to cover up, be less vocal, try to not walk alone, etc. Some may think gender inequality and sexism is over. Women got granted the right to vote in 1920 and they’ve been elected as officials, have rights to property and etc. But truthfully we still live in an unequal world. Women are still seen as sex objects. When we try to voice our opinion and views on this we are seen as being forceful angry women, women want to control the world, and women who are always unhappy. When we try to talk about the day to day things we endure such as cat calling and gender exclusive language we are told it’s “not that bad” since in other countries women have it a lot worse but truthfully: IT IS THAT BAD.

We’ve live in a society that showcases us as sex objects and treats us unequally. Although, they don’t say it flat out you see it everywhere and we are exposed to it every single day. On the news men are getting less and less prison time for rape, sexual assault and violence against women. In entertainment and music there’s misogyny and slut shaming. On campus various women only groups such as sororities, are told not to post certain things, not to dance certain ways, and not to drink too much because of how other groups, especially mainly dominant male groups like fraternities, will view them. On advertisements and social media, we’re supposed to emulate Victoria Secret models’ pictures, style and bodies even though most model’s pictures are edited. We’ve been exposed to this for so long some women have developed body image issues because they don’t look like “x” model on Instagram. Yet we’re so used to all this we even find ourselves trying to play “cool girl” who fits in with men. We try to be less fussy or emotional like the other girls and showcase we can also be “one of the guys”. We’ll over hear negative sexist remarks about their friends, girl friends or even girls you don’t know but won’t say anything for fear of being judged. By doing this we reinforce not only the negative way men view your fellow sisters but also how, according to society, the majority of us are simply way too sensitive. But in reality calling out the sexist remarks is what will make this come to an end.

Sexism is that bad. There’s been too much silence.

Don’t ignore the sexist remarks, jokes and conversations. Instead, point them out! Let them fuel you to educate people on the fact that sexism still exists and that it has to come to an end.

xoxo,

Rose

Rose McDonald is a Her Campus Writer at Florida International University. Her main focuses are on overall health, well-being, habitat conservation, societal issues and women's advocate on equal rights. When she isn't writing articles she spends most of her time reading, volunteering in different philanthropies, traveling or simply enjoying nature. Follow up and peek more into her interests by following her Instagram: @rosejanelle