barbie and oppenheimer
barbie and oppenheimer
Warner Bros. / Universal Pictures

Sexism at the 81st annual Golden Globes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

“Oppenheimer” is based on a 721-page Pulitzer Prize-winning book on the Manhattan Project. “Barbie is about a plastic doll with big boobies.” says Jo Koy, a stand-up “comedian” that further proves Barbie’s point. To not only sexualize and belittle Barbie, but to do so in front of the cast members who made that movie what it is. Reactions across the room seemed unsettled rather than humored.

“Barbenheimer” became an online and offline phenomena, as both the Barbie movie and Oppenheimer were set to release the same day , July 21, 2023. However, the point of Barbenheimer was to uplift both the films, together, the two blockbusters earned over $2.3 billion.

And yet, “Barbie” secured the Cinematic and Box Office award at the ceremony, generating over $1.4 billion and initiating a global discourse on womanhood, disparaging remarks and attacks against women.

We deserve better.

barbie movie behind the scenes 0011?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Warner Bros

Aside from Koy’s “Barbie” comments, he also threw a dig at Taylor Swift, who is arguably on top of the world right now. “The big difference between the Golden Globes and the NFL? At the Golden Globes, we have fewer camera shots of Taylor Swift.” The camera pans to Taylor Swift as she awkwardly sips her drink, and when the camera pans out you can distinctly see Selena Gomez put her head in her hands, seemingly trying to escape the torture that was Koy’s set.

These “jokes” were not meant to be laughed with, but rather laughed at. I don’t understand how this got approved, nonetheless how he continued with seemingly no remorse.

“I kind of went in and did the whole writers thing,” Koy told Good Morning America. “…I feel bad, but I gotta still say that I loved what I did.” So you don’t feel bad? Because saying “I feel bad” followed up with “I loved what I did” makes zero sense. Along with a half heartedly “apology” his PR team probably pushed out of him.

Koy aside, there were other sexist instances during the Golden Globes, such as interviewers asking sexual and inappropriate questions to female stars.

During the red carpet, Ayo Edebiri was interrogated about her thoughts on her co-star, Jeremey Allen White’s Calvin Klein campaign. The video showing White in tighty whitey’s, you can see Edebiri flinch and state “…I do want people to understand he is my coworker.” Asking Edebiri about her shirtless coworker is entirely inappropriate and it begs the question- what do you expect her to answer?

In addition, many actresses, including Rosamund Pike, were asked to sniff the “Jacob Elordi’s Bath Water” candle, which is beyond crossing the line and sexualizes their male coworker. When the interviewer pulls out the candle, Pike laughs awkwardly and says “…but he’s my son…It does get kinda weird…”

Entertainment Tonight also got a ton of backlash for asking Leonardo DiCaprio about “mentoring” co-star Lily Gladstone, insinuating she would need help in the first place. *Note: Gladstone won for her role in “Killers of the Flower Moon”, making her the first Indigenous person to ever win best actress at the Golden Globes.* DiCaprio responded frankly, stating “…she needs no help. She’s kind of a natural at all of this.” So what was the point of asking such a ridiculous question? Did the interviewer expect DiCaprio to kick dirt on Gladstone and put her down? Genuinely, what does that question do?

Right, that question serves only one purpose: to belittle a woman’s remarkable achievement.

During a night dedicated to celebrating films that empower women, the attention has shifted to inappropriate jokes about women’s bodies and discussions on how women feel about their shirtless male co-stars or bathtub water. Women should be able to revel in their achievements without being subjected to sexist behavior.

Ariana (she/her) is a Puerto Rican majoring in psychology with a minor in English. She is currently the social media director of Her Campus at Florida International University. Hoping to gain more experience throughout her college career, Ariana is an ambitious writer who is ready to take on whatever lies ahead!