This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Sen. John McCain passed away Aug. 25, 2018 due to brain cancer at the age of 81. The beloved senator was battling cancer since July 2017. His family released a statement as they decided to discontinue his treatment, saying how McCain “surpassed expectations for his survival, but the progress of disease and the inexorable advance of age render their verdict”.

On Saturday, McCain’s family and friends gathered at the Washington National Cathedral for his memorial service. Former Presidents George Bush and Barack Obama spoke kind words in remembrance of the great senator. Although it was a lovely service, the press picked up a couple statements from the former presidents and McCain’s daughter and turned it into a political drama headlining news stories. Megan McCain, the daughter of the late senator gave some emotional remarks but also seemed to make some harsh remarks over President Trump as well. Stating “the America of John McCain has no need to be great again, because America was always great,” as in reference to President Trump’s campaign slogan.  The press also took this comment Megan made to be about Trump as well,  “we live in an era where we knock down old American heroes for all of their imperfections when no leader wants to admit to fault or failure. You were an exception and gave us an ideal to strive for.” 

President Obama stated how when McCain asked him to speak at his service, he was both sad but also surprised. Stating that his request “captured some of John’s essential qualities including his ability to see past differences in search of common ground.” The former president also stated that although they didn’t publicize it often, the two men were very good friends. During the Presidency of Obama, McCain would come over to the White House and sit in the oval office and discuss politics, policies, and family. Just the two of them.

Former President Bush also spoke quite highly of the senator as well, saying that he was courageous and honest no matter the circumstances. “Those in political power were not exempt. At various points throughout his long career, John confronted policies and practices that he believed were unworthy of his country”.  

The memorial service captured how dearly loved and respected John McCain will be remembered as. Although he will be missed, he has clearly left a great impact on this country.