This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The debate on what to do with illegal immigrants who enter the United States has reached a peak in the recent months. Some people, like myself, know what its like to upend your life in one country and move to America in the hopes of the “American dream.” Others might even know what it feels like to face the chance of deportation, but the truth is, a majority of Americans have very little awareness as to the living conditions most immigrants are fleeing from. Even less of an inkling as to the hoops they jump through every day to be able to come and stay in the country.

This is where Netflix is coming in. Appropriately right in the middle of Hispanic Heritage Month, the streaming service will release a new documentary called Living Undocumented. It is a 6 episode miniseries, produced by Selena Gomez,  following 8 families who are facing deportation. The documentary is meant to humanize undocumented immigrants; to show someone who may not completely understand their struggles and to depict just how complex the U.S immigration system can be. When asked, Selena Gomez said “I chose to produce this series, because, over the past few years, the word ‘immigrant’ has seemingly become a negative word. My hope is that the series can shed light on what it is like to live in this country as an undocumented immigrant firsthand, from the courageous peoples who have chosen to share their stories.”

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSGBP-Z4UXI&feature=youtu.be

This series will be one to watch as it sheds a light on one of the most pressing issues of our time, make sure to stay tuned for its premiere October 2nd.

Amanda is a Sophomore on the Premed track. When she's not studying or writing you can find her at the nearest coffee shop reading the latest book or shopping with friends.