This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

On October 12th, Princess Eugenie of York and Jack Brooksbank tied the knot at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor, the same venue where Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s highly anticipated royal wedding took place this past spring. The 28-year-old princess is Queen Elizabeth’s grand-daughter, who is 9th in line to the throne. Every girl dreams about what their wedding dress may look like at one point in their lives, and Princess Eugenie is no exception. The princess of York always knew she wanted to make a lasting impression, and on October 12th her dream was finally realized, where she shocked the world with her stunning 1940’s inspired classic bridal gown by Peter Piloto, custom made for the princess with a twist nobody could’ve seen coming. The v-line cut on the dress ensured the princess would capture headlines worldwide, as she made a unique statement when she approached the doors of the chapel with the scar on her back exposed as she paid homage to those who supported her as a young girl and inspired others everywhere who suffer from scoliosis. People who are diagnosed with scoliosis have an abnormal curvature of the spine, where the back develops a curved appearance and may interfere with the placement of the shoulder blades. Although there is still no medical explanation as to why it’s more common in one gender, young adolescent girls are more likely to be diagnosed with scoliosis. According to Gerry Holt and Kesewaa Brown, journalists at BBC News, three to four children are required to seek treatment for their diagnosis. Princess Eugenie’s goal was to redefine the meaning of beauty by wearing her scars as a badge of strength. When interviewed, the princess had the following to say: “I think you can change the way beauty is, and you can show people your scars and I think it’s really special to stand up for that.” Her initiative as a role model has supported many others facing the same challenges, allowing young adolescents to believe in themselves, have faith in their image, and help them have courage.