Richard Leonard #3

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

24 year old Richard Leonard is a talented FIU football cornerback, and he has earned the title as this week’s Campus Celebrity.

This 5 ft 9 pack of dynamite displays pure talent when on the field, you can tell football is not only his passion but his life.

In 2014, Leonard was the two-time C-USA Defensive Player of the Week and the two-time C-USA Special Teams Player of the Week becoming the first player in C-USA history to accomplish this feat. This is just a small scale on his long list of achievments, that shows just how much talent he possesses. 

The FIU Football players spend a lot of time on the field, at practice and in meetings so we got to ask Leonard a few short questions, and these were his responses.

1.Who/What is your biggest motivator?

• My biggest motivator is my son Chase. He keeps me going everyday, and knowing that I have a son makes me give 110%.

2.What are some of the challanges you face as a student athlete?

• Just waking up everyday early in the morning to go to practice, and still having to attend classes afterwards. Overall, time management is a big challenge. 

3. What has been your proudest moment in your college football career?

• Being able to play in front of the fans and supporters, and giving my all in a game for them are my proudest moments. 

4. What are some of your hopes/dreams for the future?

• My hope for the future is to be in the NFL one day. 

5. A word of advice to young men who want to pursue college football? 

• My advice to anybody who is trying to play football is to just stick with your dream, work hard and never give up because dreams really do come true. School work is important too, you have to work hard in school to be able to play football, so make school work a priority. 

6. Describe the relationship you have with your teammates- both on and off the field. 

• My relationship with my teammates is like a brotherhood. We are always around each other so we have a type of bond that most people don’t have with their families. We have so much fun off the field: we go out together and we joke around in the locker room. When we are on the field together we know it’s time for business and we depend on each other. That’s the best part about being around them-knowing I can depend on them.  I love my brothers and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. 

And there you have it! Not only is he dedicated and a superbly talented athlete, he is a genuine individual with big hopes and dreams for the future. 

We wish Leonard and the FIU football team all the best for their next few season games.

South African model, dancer, personal trainer and blogger. Lover of God & Life