Reviewing “IT”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Pennywise is in theaters and ready to make you laugh your socks off… well, sorta.

If you asked me four years ago if I’d ever be caught sitting in a movie theater watching “IT” in 2017, I would have told you that you were crazy. The joke is that now I am a horror movie junkie and I was practically the first one at the box office ready to watch the movie the day it came out. IT was horrifying, sad and above all things– absolutely hilarious.  Pennywise played by Bill Skarsgard (who’s a total hunk, by the way!) was sure to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up with his intense stare, rodent-like teeth and very creepy drooling.

Although this was a horror film, it’s safe to say that for the most part, this movie was better off being labeled a comedy with a hint of horror. The main characters in this movie Bill, Ben, Beverly, Richie, Mike, Eddie and Stanley each had distinct personalities that meshed extremely well together and really made the movie. They were courageous, witty, but above all else– funny. The kids were constantly throwing jokes at one another and really “dissing” each other in the same way you’d expect from your stereotypical middle school setting. 

This movie took several twist and turns and rapidly transitioned from a joyous scene to a sad one, or even funny and very scary within seconds. Scenes where Billy mourned over the death of his younger brother, Georgie and felt determined to get to the bottom of his disappearance. Or the scene where Bev had worked up the nerve stand up to her abusive father while maintaining her brave composure for the rest of her group. Intense and suspenseful scenes such as the instances in which all the kids ran from the town bullies or even stood up to them. Lastly, let us not forget the iconic scene where Eddie told his mother that he knew his pills were in fact, gazebos.

Although some scenes were too fake for my taste, I felt that IT was recreated in such a way that really made the audience want to watch it over and over again. Producers and casting directors did an exceptional job picking their cast and an even better job with getting the cast to translate their chemistry on screen. 

Overall I 10/10 recommend everyone to go watch the movie in theaters before its too late. I personally cannot wait for the sequel. Hopefully, the kids who stole my heart will have reoccuring appearances in the next IT movie, however if this is not the case, I can’t wait to see them in other films and projects.

header image link: https://i0.wp.com/bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/it-20…