Style > Fashion

Reasons why you should rewear your outfits without guilt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Back in January of 2020 renowned fashion designer Stella McCartney showed support to actor Joaquin Phoenix on his decision to wear a custom Stella tux for the entirety of the awards season. After praising his idea to follow a more ecological path in fashion, despite Phoenix not being an icon to the fashion world, Twitter users decided to view it as an out of reality comment because Phoenix was not doing anything out of the ordinary to them. 

When I read about this, I thought that it was out of touch to praise him for doing something people might do in their everyday life, but when it happens why are people calling each other out for repeating outfits? If Kate Middleton, Victoria Beckham, and Cate Blanchett can rewear their clothes, why can’t we?

Besides avoiding fast fashion, rewearing your outfits can help you save money and learn how to stylize yourself in different ways without having to buy clothes every two weeks. I have had a hard time adjusting to this idea and I am still in the process of accepting the fact that my closet is not empty while also trying to let go of the senseless thought that if people from my science class saw me with my favorite outfit last week, I should not rewear it for next class. Yes, people might be aware of what you wear and when you wear it but their opinion shouldn’t change the way you want to do things, and this does not only apply to clothes but life in general. 

Rewearing your outfits makes you value the true essence of fashion and the worth of classics and good quality items in your closet. It gives a sense of value to your clothes because the more you wear them the more experiences you have with them. It teaches you how to play with colors, textures, patterns, accessories, and even hairstyles and makeup. Repeating an outfit shouldn’t be boring and that is exactly what fashion is about, experimenting. 

Even if there are a million reasons to follow this new anti-fast fashion trend, the truth is that beauty never goes out of style so whether you decide to rewear your clothes or change your whole wardrobe in one day remember the true essence of what people see is not what you wear but who you are and what you have to offer to the world.

I am an international FIU student from Ecuador majoring in Public Relations, Advertising & Applied Communications. I have always been very creative and I love everything related to art, that's why writing is not only a passion for me but something that is part of who I am. Moving to New York City after graduation is my ultimate goal. One thing that keeps me motivated through it all is knowing that what I do now serves for my growth and the realization of my goals in the future.