This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Recognizing Our Aesthetic Reality:

Aesthetic reality is a formation of how one sees their perception of artistic value and the beauty it upholds. How we engage in what we can perceive and the various style that allows us to express ourselves.

I would believe everyone has a specific aesthetic they find that fits their well-being. It took years to understand how I can express myself externally without society setting limitations on my image. I started to find what pleased me best through trials and errors. At a point in time, I would dress the way that was suitable to society because of “fast fashion,” and for others to feel comfortable and pleased with what I wearing. It was labeled as “normal,” but what exactly was “normal” for me?

I was only familiar with what the society I surrounded myself with was suitable with. Slowly, I began to escape reality in different ways that allowed me to reevaluate reality. My aesthetic was something that resembled my lifestyle and how I can stay true to myself.

Aesthetic is not only dealt with fashion, but how that appeals to who you are. It can be enlightenment for a few and an inspiration for those whose aspects in life are seen through as “beauty is in the eye of the beholder.”

Aesthetic reality reevaluates how someone may want to live not based on trends, but for themselves. Who and what can possibly understand through what we value?

My takeaway from aesthetic reality is doing what you please. You cannot let an aesthetic lifestyle define who you are, but allow yourself to define how you want to live the life that seeks beauty as something valuable because of its artistic features.

Diana Dupelord is a Senior Editor at Florida International University Her Campus Chapter. She oversees a group of writers that exemplify different genres of writing. She is responsible for ensuring article credibility, while managing and editing writers' content before publication. Diana continues to expand her editorial experience by becoming a Student Editor for FIU's Undergraduate Research Journal for the 2024 Cohort. She dedicates her time to working with Student Writers during the drafting and publication process to ensure efficient published academic research. Additionally, she has served as an intern for Her Campus Media X Ulta Beauty by creating written content on natural hair for the empowerment of Black Beauty. The art of writing has allowed Diana to optimize her passion for it. She is dedicated to sharing her life experiences through her love for writing. Her transparency has allowed her to influence and inspire people by portraying the empowerment of her written pieces. She emphasizes her reasonings to teach the world as "Breaking Barriers is My Purpose."