Drinks
Drinks
Alex Frank / Spoon
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Ever since I discovered matcha two years ago, I decided to never go back on coffee. Not that I never drink a cup of coffee, but the only reason why I had coffee every morning back at the time was because I needed to be energized. But coffee made me shake all the time, which was something I did not enjoy at all. Matcha is a great energizer, it boosts the brain’s function, and it is a great weight loss supplement. From all the matcha powders I’ve tried, my favorite is Yoko Matcha’s organic ceremonial grade matcha. You can either order it online or get it in their coffee shop located in the heart of Wynwood, it is also at a really good price ($24) and it lasts around a month. It all depends on how frequently you drink matcha. I drink once a day before going to work out, or if I am not feeling energized in the morning, I start my day with a cup of matcha.

Today, I will be sharing with you some recipes of my yummiest matcha drinks, hot, cold and even a tik tok recipe I tried last week at starbucks! You have to also know that you can bake any matcha recipe idea you have in mind, from cookies, to loafs, donuts and even pancakes, but that is something I’ll share in a different article.

My all time favorite, a CrEaMy matcha  (it can be either iced or hot)

You will need:

1 tbsp matcha (YOKO’s or any of your preference) 

1/4 hot water 

Whipped cream (optional)

1 cup coconut milk, you can try any other milk, I personally prefer the taste of matcha and coconut milk rather than almond milk or any other milk, I feel like the flavors blend perfectly and it has a perfect balance of sweet and the strong matcha essence, but that’s on me. Many of my friends prefer it with almond milk.

1 tsp coconut sugar

and, please follow this steps:

1. Put a teaspoon of your matcha powder into a cup

2. Add some warm water but not too much, remember we will need to also add milk

3. Whisk the matcha until there are no grooms on the cup, we want a nice green smooth consistency  

4. Warm the milk, it could be soy, 2%, whole, almond, any… in my case, I will add some coconut milk. And pour the milk into your cup! <3

5. This is a little extra for the creamy part, I like to add a little bit of whipped cream on top, add a tsb of coconut sugar

6. Use a whisk until it blends well into a light green smooth color

7. You can either enjoy this adding ice, or just the way it is, warm and soft 

A pretty one, Iced Rose Latte

You can also try it in Yoko Matcha, located in Wynwood, it’s a very instagrammable coffee shop or what I would call it, matcha shop! This is literally a Starbucks Very Berry w coconut and matcha, it is absolutely refreshing, sweet, and it’s a great boost for your energy. 

You will need:

Rose hibiscus concentrate

Edible rose petals (honestly, I consider this optional)

Ice cubes

Coconut milk

Matcha powder 1 tbsp 

I know, you might be saying where the hell can I buy some hibiscus concentrate, Lisy, but remember these are recipes I’ve already made, so I got you. I ordered mine on Amazon. The link at the end of this recipe. And the edible rose petals, I get them for only $5 on etsy. I will also add the link at the end of this recipe so watch out. Making this refresher will take you five minutes max. To begin with you will need to combine milk and the hibiscus concentrate on a cocktail shaker or a water bottle with a very tight lid because you will be shaking it up baby!!

After shaking both the milk and the hibiscus concentrate, pour that into a cup with ice. Then, make the matcha. If you don’t know how, do not worry I got you. Get one tablespoon of yoko matcha’s powder with water, after that shake that well until it is smooth and dark green. Now, you got your matcha, pour it into the cup of the pink latte, add more ice if needed and top your drink with the edible rose petals, and this is why I believe that rose petals are totally optional. It makes your drink look pretty but there is no difference in the taste.

Here are the links: 

For the edible rose petals, https://www.etsy.com/listing/792308014/edible-dried-red-rose-petals-rose-tea?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_e-home_and_living-food_and_drink-herbs_and_spices_and_seasonings-herbs_and_spices&utm_custom1=_k_Cj0KCQjwi7yCBhDJARIsAMWFScOo9_EXmiRmFy-p3VHTbO-qwauKNA2iTxxaJ2r9JnmkQp0PsPq2qyUaAh7EEALw_wcB_k_&utm_content=go_1844702805_75381303731_346364747985_pla-306107311649_c__792308014_147240602&utm_custom2=1844702805&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi7yCBhDJARIsAMWFScOo9_EXmiRmFy-p3VHTbO-qwauKNA2iTxxaJ2r9JnmkQp0PsPq2qyUaAh7EEALw_wcB

For the hibiscus concentrate, https://www.amazon.com/Monin-Flavored-Hibiscus-33-8-Ounce-Plastic/dp/B004L6FQLC/ref=asc_df_B004L6FQLC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309769273892&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18437047447502330986&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9053030&hvtargid=pla-567525213056&psc=1

As I mentioned at the beginning of this article, I have a tik tok recipe

So, If you are having a lazy day and you want to quit matcha but you would rather pick up a coffee on Starbucks, please don’t. Instead, order this tik tok recipe that’s literally my favorite drink on the secret Starbucks menu. Your order will go like this

A grande matcha iced latte

With sweet cold foam and strawberry purée inside the cold foam and light ice

Your drink should look like a perfect combination of green and soft pink, thank me later!!

And last but not least, for my party girls, and +21 readers, you can also have MATCHA fun!!

Matcha Margarita

You will need:

1 oz cointreau

2 oz Blanco Tequila or any tequila (I tried it with Kendall Jenner’s 818 and let me tell you that was A DRINK) I am 22 years old by the way!

2 1/2 tbsp of fresh lime juice

And 1/2 tbsp of matcha

Mix that mama and start some drama! (Not really, I just thought it was cool to use some rhymes)

I hope you try at least ONE of my recipes, and hit me up on ig @lisyy.p If you have any questions or want to know about more matcha recipes! GO LOCA FOR MATCHA <3 Join the club, enjoy!

Lisy is a writer at Her Campus in FIU, where she creates content across Her Campus and Florida International University. She is currently a junior with a major on International Relations and a minor in Communications. Lisy currently lives in Miami, but her heart will always be in her home country Honduras; she is a proud Alpha Chi Omega sister, along with that she currently is Recruitment Director in Model of United Nations FIU. She loves cooking, traveling, and loves going to cute spots around town.