Culture > News

Puerto Rico’s lack of air conditioning in public schools.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

In recent months in Puerto Rico, heat advisories have increased tremendously. Thus, students and teachers have been the ones experiencing the triple-digit heat in their schools due to the lack of air conditioners in classrooms. As a result of many students experiencing the heat in classrooms, they had to endure disadvantages that are demonstrated below:

According to the survey of Puerto Rico’s Association of Teachers, it was estimated that over 83% of public schools do not have air conditioners. This estimate would explain why many students have been affected by the scorching heat; for instance, it was demonstrated that the heat made it difficult for students to concentrate and learn. The inconveniences led to the constant change in school hours, which teachers had advocated for an early release for students, considering that the heat would become exacerbating. Many students have expressed their outrage as they decided to leave their classrooms early and take to the streets to protest for their right to have proper air conditioning. Most classrooms are mainly composed of fans and the little breeze blowing through the windows’ metal shudders. Even though the frustrations have been growing across schools from the island, Governor Pedro Perluisi vetoed the bill for the ability to implement air conditioners.

As a result, many parents shared their child’s frustration with sitting through the heat. Many expressed their worries for their child due to the possibility of enduring heat-related health problems. Reports have demonstrated that over 50% of public schools have had heat-related emergencies. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has explained the recent events that children have a harder time tolerating the heat than adults because they are prone to losing fluids quicker, leading to dizziness or fainting. As a result, it was concluded by the Department of Education that they would change school hours for students to avoid being constantly exposed to the heat.

References:

Acevedo, N. (2023, September 8). Puerto Rico Schools Cancel classes amid unceasing, excessive heat. NBCNews.com. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/puerto-rico-schools-cancel-excessive-heat-no-air-conditioning-rcna103923

Coto, D. (2023, September 8). Puerto Rico’s schools clamor for air conditioning amid record-breaking heat. ABC News. https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/puerto-ricos-public-schools-clamor-air-conditioning-relief-103024374

Hello! My name is Christine Santiago; my pronouns are she, her, and hers. My major is Political Science/Pre-Law.