matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

President Trump was scheduled to speak at the Modesto A. Maidique Campus of Florida International University this past Monday at 4:00 p.m.. Trump’s visit was addressed to the largest Venezuelan community in the country to gather support on the Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido.

The United States has backed up Guaido and condemns President Nicolas Maduro’s government and his political party’s views.

With the occuring crisis in Venezuela, the United States and President Trump have been advised to increase the pressure since Guaido declared himself president in January.

Venezuela was once the wealthiest country in South America, being an oil tyrant, but is now suffering an economic crisis and hyperinflation.

Venezuelans have been left with no food, medical supplies and other basic necessities. Aid has been sitting on the border between Colombia and Venezuela waiting to be allowed in; Saturday has been set as the deadline for Maduro to allow this aid in. Maduro has been using the military, whom have remained loyal to Maduro, to block the trucks carrying food and medicine due to his struggle to maintain power.  

Florida Governor Desantis also made an appearance on Monday saying that, “Florida has your back, the United States has your back and we will never stop fighting until free and fair elections are restored in Venezuela.”

Trump stated that “a new day is coming for Latin America” and declared this year as the “twilight of socialism”.

However, Trump’s speech was met with a few dozen protestors outside the arena. Some protesters were carrying signs that read “No U.S. coup in Venezuela”.

Around 30 countries have recognized Guaido as the president of Venezuela but the European Union and United Nations continue to recognize Maduro as the country’s leader.

Along Florida’s governor, President Trump also brought Aminta Perez, the mother of a rebel police officer killed last year in Venezuela and was accompanied by Florida Senators Marco Rubio and Rick Scott.

President Trump also mentioned that, “We seek a peaceful transition of power, but all options are open.”

Nonetheless, Trump was met with criticism from the Democratic party who have reported an increase in deportations of Venezuelans from 182 in 2006 to 248 in 2017.

Hi loves! My name is Juanita Cardona, I am a sophomore at FIU majoring in Public Relations, Advertising & Applied Communications (PRAAC). I was born in Colombia and have a passion for traveling. I love experiencing new cultures, especially their food. Off of that Im a big foodie and love to try out new places to eat, but my favorite food is definitely sushi. I enjoy writing on women's issues and being a voice for the minorities. I hope to continue to write and grow as a writer in general.