Preparing for Hurricane Irma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

With Hurricane Irma roaring through the Atlantic as it heads towards the Caribbean and Florida, it is imperative that everyone takes the proper precautions when it comes to preparing for this monstrous Category 5 hurricane.  Florida Governor Rick Scott declared a state of emergency for the state of Florida as of Tuesday and stated that President Trump has “offered the full resources of the federal government as Floridians prepare for Hurricane Irma.”

Hurricane Irma became a Category 5 hurricane within just a few days of its formation, carrying sustained winds of 185 miles per hour. According to the National Weather Service, Irma is the strongest storm ever in the Atlantic, with the exception of the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico.

With that being said, it is crucial that everyone gets a head start on preparing for what could potentially be catastrophic:

1. Stocking up on Supplies

It is extremely important that you stock up on all of the necessary goods you’d need in case of power outages and/or evacuation. The sooner, the better. Governor Rick Scott has suspended all tolls as of 5pm Tuesday in order to reserve ample time for residents to stock up on goods. Essentials include: water, flashlights, batteries, non-perishable foods, first aid kits, etc. At least one gallon of water per person, per day is recommended as well as ice.

2. Evacuation Plan

If a mandatory evacuation is put into place, it is crucial that you pack the necessary items upon your departure. Every member of your household should have an emergency bag ready to go if evacuation is necessary. The bag should include clean dry clothes, food, water, valuables and important documents. Filling up your gas tanks well before evacuation is a must. It is better to leave while the weather is still okay rather than when the hurricane is already approaching.

3. Car and Home Insurance

If you are a homeowner or renter, it is wise to insure your home against flooding regardless if you live close to the coast or not. If extensive damage is done, make sure to take adequate photos in order to show proof of damage. As for automobiles, ensure that you contact your auto insurance companies and move your vehicles to locations where they are unlikely to be damaged by any debris caused by powerful wind gusts.

4. Protect Your Pets

Never leave your pets behind or unattended during a storm. You may never see them again and they will be unable to survive by themselves if lost. Make sure you acquire enough water for them as well as food, litter, medications and any other needs your specific furry one may need. If you plan on evacuating to a shelter, make sure you keep a look out for those that are pet-friendly. For those who live in Miami-Dade and want to take your animals to a pet friendly shelter, you are encouraged to pre-register online at www.miamidade.gov/hurricane or call 786-331-5354.

For more updates on the storm and preparedness, stay tuned to local news television, radio stations and updates from the National Hurricane Center. Remember that price gouging during a state of emergency is illegal. Therefore, officials are urging anyone who sees any cases of price gouging to immediately report it by calling 1-866-966-7226 or visit the site.

Cover Photo: https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/09/04/caribbean-islands-batten-d…