This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Seeing the good during this pandemic has been a challenge for many of us in the world. Many experts have suggested different activities to forget a little about what is happening around us. Some have engaged in different leisure activities and others have taken social media breaks., but the activity that can help us stay emotionally afloat is journaling.

Journaling can be like a diary for all of our thoughts and memories to revisit in the future. While writing all those memories and thoughts, we are making a great impact for our mental health. For example, keeping a gratitude journal can help improve our mood and notice the little things that fill us with gratitude. This habit can help you to live in the present and to avoid focusing on the negative thoughts around us. Journaling is like a path to our brains to be more mindful of the positive things in our lives.

There are many things we can journal about like: quotes that inspire us, how we feel, the things we learn about ourselves, things we will never take for granted, affirmations, and intentions. The topics are endless, but they can all bring different benefits to our lives. Some of the benefits can be as simple as tracking our day and our habits or exploring our creativity.

All we need is a notebook and a pen. Plus, it’s cheaper than a therapist!

Hilary is a senior studying Digital Broadcast Media at Florida International University. She enjoys beach walks, reading, writing, exercising, and anything with coffee. Her ultimate goal is to become a news anchor for the Hispanic media.