The Podcasts You Need To Start Listening To Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Last summer I lived in Washington D.C., where I worked as an intern and took academic courses. There, I had the opportunity to engage in conversation with both young professionals in several fields and also with established and prominent leaders in their careers.

I often asked them what habits they recommended a young woman (me) take on to become an important professional (them). Among the ones I heard most often were waking up early, keeping cell phones away from workstations to avoid distractions, reading anything and everything, going to networking events and surprisingly- listening to podcasts. Many of the successful people I met let me in on their secret podcast addictions.

They told me that listening to something, rather than reading or watching it, allows more multi-tasking and efficiency. I began listening to podcasts each day while getting ready for work, or on my 50-minute metro commute across the city. Soon enough I found myself listening to a new podcast any chance I got. When I moved back to Miami I brought the habit with me and stick with it to this day. I listen to a podcast every day while getting ready for school, and depending on my mood, on my very long commutes to campus and home.I’ve listened to dozens of podcasts over the last year, but I’ve only decided to share the ones that have been truly great and are worth a listen.

“The Most Interesting News Podcast That You Will Ever Hear And Will Really Impress Your Professors And Your Parents With How Smart You Are”:

1. The Daily by The New York Times Photo by: The New York Times

I don’t think one day goes by where I don’t listen to The New York Times’ Michael Barbaro take on the most important issues facing our country today. In an easily digestible 20-minute episode each week-day, he covers an entire story that will open your eyes to things occurring and unsolved problems that you wouldn’t even imagine.

“The One With That One Really Funny Girl From The Bachelor (And The Bachelorette)

2.  Off the Vine With Kaitlyn Bristowe

Photo by: Off The Vine

I joined #BachelorNation 11 Seasons too late, but starting out with Kaitlyn Bristowe’s season got me hooked. She is probably the funniest Bachelor franchise participant to date (I have 100% real statistics to back this up trust me) and now I tune into every Monday religiously, even though no one can come close to Kaitlyn’s weird habits. On Off The Vine, shes just as hilarious, talking about everything from biting off her own toenails to her own and others’ Bachelor experiences.

“The One Podcast That Even Your Grandma Has Listened To, Seriously How Have You Not Listened To It Yet?”:

3. SerialPhoto By: Vulture

My sister told me about Serial a year ago and I listened to the entire first season in three days. I was obsessed with the case that Sarah Koenig analyzed, investigated, then laid out for hundreds of thousands of people to become equally obsessed with. The first season of the podcast is amazing, horrifying, shocking and heart-warming all at the same time. The second installment, which follows Bowe Bergdahl’s time in Afghanistan, is less charming, but still worth a listen for National Security buffs like me. If you finish this one too fast and want more of Koenig’s antics, find her on This American Life

“The Podcast That Will Have You Wanting to Plan A March, Work Three Jobs, Raise Ten Children, And Crush The Patriarchy All At Once.”:

4. Stuff Mom Never Told You by HowStuffWorksPhoto By: HowStuffWorks

Co-hosts Emilie Aries and Bridget Todd keep it more than real with their research-driven rundown of the challenges that women of all ages and in all fields face and have faced throughout history. They also offer up insights, stories and solutions to further the lives of women today whether it be in their careers, lives, activism or well-being. Tune in every Monday and Friday to hear these hilarious ladies discuss the most important issues of our day and age.