Life > Experiences

Podcasts That Will Change Your Way Of Seeing Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

We live in a time in which technology has a role in most of our daily activities. We use it for work, to study, to entertain ourselves, to exercise, to listen to music. We use it for so many things that this article would turn into a list of technology usage. Instead of that, I want to give you an insight on four podcasts that so far have changed my life.

Podcasts were not trendy ten years ago but radio shows and TV shows were. Through those, people could learn about different topics from pop culture to politics but I feel like these media outlets were more professional and didn’t quite shared the essence of the speaker, which is what I look for when looking for a podcast. 

I remember going to elementary school while my dad was driving and listening to the same sports journalist on the radio talk about the most recent soccer match, he sure enjoyed it a lot but what if he could listen to him at anytime he wanted instead of waiting every Monday at 7am to do it? That is why I feel like we are privileged to have podcasts and so many other platforms available to us as easy as unlocking our phones. 

These podcasts always have a piece of advice that you will need at any time in your life, so I’ve gathered the best ones that will got you covered through anything. 

Anything Goes with Emma Chamberlain

If I could describe this podcast with one word it would be real. That is what is based on: realness, truth, stuff that makes you feel embarrassed, struggles of a young woman growing up in such a big world. And FYI not only because she is working as an influencer and YouTuber does it mean that we are not also growing up in a big world, because we are. It is as equally full of expectations from people we don’t know, uncertainty of what might happen, and the anxiety that comes with life. This podcast is pure beauty. Not the beauty that we see on magazines, but the beauty that comes within Emma’s ability to be genuine and be able to connect to the public as if she was our friend. 

The Make Your Damn Bed Podcast by Julie Merica

Hear me out. You just woke up and already have a million thoughts running through your head. You feel anxious. You’re laying on your bed thinking that today is not your day but you decide to listen to Julie on her podcast. She starts speaking and you notice that it is like she is having a conversation with you. At the same time you get up to make your bed and start the day while building momentum to better your life, as she likes to say in every podcast. In as little as five or six minutes you get your mood fixed, your thoughts cleared and create intention towards your day. Knowing that it will not be perfect but it will shape you into a better person.

Soul Chats by Katherine Khaloo

The name of her podcast is basically the essence of it. Soul chats is meant to connect with the souls that inspire Katherine to chat and talk about everything that sets her soul on fire: from from her friends, to influencers, and topics like life expectations, fashion, and spirituality. The way that she connects to her listeners through her podcast is so natural and unposed that she even talks when she’s eating, which is considered a bad manner for many people, but I like to see it as if I’m having lunch with a friend. Because yes, it’s not real to be perfect all the time.  

The Mindset Mentor with Rob Dial

This is the real thing. Do you want to learn how to be productive, be positive, grow, be self disciplined, and learn the tricks to have the best mindset possible? Then this podcast is for you. This is one of my holy grails when talking about podcasts. It is sometimes harsh to listen to the truth that Rob Dial has to tell you in this, but it is the best advice that you could receive. He may not be as sweet as all the other girls I mentioned from the podcasts above but sometimes a little harshness is needed, and for that he is the absolute best. 

I am an international FIU student from Ecuador majoring in Public Relations, Advertising & Applied Communications. I have always been very creative and I love everything related to art, that's why writing is not only a passion for me but something that is part of who I am. Moving to New York City after graduation is my ultimate goal. One thing that keeps me motivated through it all is knowing that what I do now serves for my growth and the realization of my goals in the future.