Play Some Word Games During Coronavirus Pandemic!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

During the pandemic, with nowhere to go to entertain ourselves, we must rely on what we have available to us. There are many ways to keep our brain active for the time being, especially if your major requires reading and writing. Word games are the best for the brain. Whether or not you need to do them, it can help prevent memory loss as well as any health issues that connect to the brain. Here are three games that you should play and why it is good to play them occasionally. 

1. Scrabble

Recently for the first time, I played scrabble and it gave me quite a headache, but it was fun and got my brain going. I had to dig for words from memory and use strategy. Scrabble puts you against an opponent or you create teams of two. Depending on the placement of the word and the length of it, you will gain the number of points according to those two things. Very fun and helps you build your vocabulary. 

1. Crossword

The internet is filled with crossword puzzles, search some up and print them. They can be at any level of difficulty you desire and see how much your brain knows. Play them often and you can become a pro! It is old fashioned, but at this time of our lives, we need to rely on the old fashioned to get us through this tough time. When there are no more Netflix movies or T.V. shows to watch, you can rely on these games. 

1. Or Just Read Some More

Books right now are our best friends for entertainment as well as getting away from social media. I am sure most of you will be scrolling through Instagram or Twitter, so reading a book or rereading will be great for your brain to get away from the media and the news.

Maria Young is an English Major, with a minor in Psychology, at Florida International University. Chinese-Panamanian constantly traveling and moving to different parts of the world because of her dad's job. Maria enjoys reading and writing as well as spending time with her friends. Her favorite novel is Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy.