This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Peru, for some time now, has been a country that is on many travelers must-visit list. There is an abundance of places to explore and areas to visit all around the country. From museums and city-life in Lima, to the eye-catching Machu Picchu in Cuzco, Peru is one of the most climactically diverse countries as it has deserts, beaches, and jungles all within its country borders. Here is a list of places one must visit when traveling to this culture rich country:

Nazca Desert

The Nazca Desert is located between the southern cities of Nazca and Palpa. It is home to the world-renowned “Nazca Lines” which were created some time between 500 BCE and 500 CE. The Nazca lines are geoglyphs, made of continuous lines that are best visible from the sky. Helicopter tours are available for anyone interested in seeing the lines. This is also a popular spot for Alien-enthusiasts who believe only extraterrestrial beings could’ve created such massive perfectly straight glyphs.

Lima

Lima is Peru’s capital and largest city that homes more than 70% of the country’s entire population. Though heavily populated, its architecture, culture, and exceptional food offer a tourist all they need to enjoy a day in Lima. Check out the “Museo Larco” for Pre-colombian exhibits of indigenous Peruvian people or “Larcomar” if you need some retail therapy.

Huacachina

This desert is located just five hours south of Lima and is famous for dune bugging and sandboarding adventures. The center of this village is a small oasis surrounded by desert but at its small center has a lagoon surrounded by palm trees. Also, side-note, if you watched Arie’s season of The Bachelor he actually takes Kendall on a date to the Sand Dunes.  

Amazon

Peru’s Amazon is one of the worlds most biologically diverse areas in the world. There are so many adventures one can take part in such as living on a riverboat, stay at a treehouse hotel, go piranha fishing, and even eat on a floating restaurant. Many areas of the jungle are inaccessible but the easiest way to get in on the fun is to fly directly to the city of Iquitos where tourists flock to experience the Amazon.

Cuzco

Last but not least, every tourist should visit the city of Cuzco, as it’s home to one of the seven wonders of the world, Machu Picchu. Machu Picchu is located 7000 feet above sea level in the Andes Mountains of Peru. To get to experience Machu Picchu, one must climb aboard the Inca Rail, which departs from the city of Cuzco and leads passengers through the “Sacred Valley” on its way up to Macchu Picchu. One thing to take note is the elevation does make most people sick, so a siesta once arriving to Cuzco and lots of coca tea are necessary. Side-note, Arie took Lauren here on their final date on The Bachelor.

Valerie Castaneda is currently a Sophomore at Florida International University pursuing a degree in Marketing. She was born and raised in Miami, FL. and places her city on a high pedestal, She believes in the great importance of the written word and loves to write about things that inspire her. She loves traveling, studying, and listening to music while at the same time being updated on Pop Culture around her. Her dream is to eventually work at a record label in Artist Relations and manage artists. For the moment, Valerie works in Promotional Marketing and enjoys working with different brands and companies. Most recently, she worked Swim Week 2018 where she was exposed to the fashion industry and learned a great deal about the world-renowned week.