Hero Copy
Hero Copy
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Wellness > Health

Period Pain Woes: My Remedies to Help Soothe Cramps

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Since the age of 11, I’ve been dealing with what my aunt would call a “mean uterus.” The closer my period got, the more I anticipated a day of vomiting, cramping, hyperventilating and almost passing out.

I’ve visited many doctors, a gynecologist, and even the hospital emergency room. They all said the same thing, “There’s nothing wrong with her uterus, she just has bad cramps.” I’m not sure that’s the case, given the history of women on both sides of my family having uterine fibroids and painful periods that their doctors still haven’t found a cure for yet. I know that for women in general the medical system still has a long way on finding an absolute cure to help with painful cramps. So until that day comes, these are my current remedies that I use to help soothe my pain.

Dr Teal’s Menstrual Relief epsom salt soaking solution

My grandmother first introduced me to this bath soak in my sophomore year of high school. Though it didn’t completely stop the pain, it eased it just enough so I could lay down and get some sleep. 7/10 ⭐

Dr Teal’s menstrual relief lavender foaming bubble bath

Dr Teal also has a menstrual relief bubble bath. Though I have not used it yet, I’m sure it works the same way as the Epsom salt soak.

ThermaCare Menstrual Pain Therapy Heatwraps

I’ve been using this heat wrap since middle school. Though it says it should last up to 8 hours, it usually lasted for 2-3 hours for me. 5/10 ⭐

Electric Heating pad

I’ve been using an electric heating pad since the time I started my first period and let me tell you, I don’t know what I would have done without it! It has gotten me through my worst periods yet. 10/10 ⭐

Besides these products, I usually boil some water and make myself some ginger tea with a drizzle of honey and take some cranberry vitamins. Though it’s not much, I try to make the most with what works for me. I hope these products are able to help ease the pain for you as they were for me.

How To Enjoy Your Period
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media
Ortajia Williams is a new writer for the Her Campus Florida International University chapter📝. This is her first experience writing and publishing for a company. She transferred from Broward College, and is currently a junior at Florida International University majoring in PRAAC and pursuing a minor in Social Media and E-Marketing Analytics. Since transferring, she has made the Dean's list for several semesters due to her hard work and dedication. She hopes to graduate in Spring 2025 with her Bachelors and minor, and move forward to complete her Masters degree🎓. Beyond Her Campus, Ortajia works as a sales associate at Pandora💍. In her free time, she enjoys skincare🧖🏾‍♀️, food🧋🍜, listening to music🎵🎶🎼, traveling🛫, meeting new people and learning about their culture; and likes to keep herself updated on social media and digital marketing trends📱💻. Outside of school and work; you can catch her at Starbucks☕, the beach🌊, the mall🛍️, and hanging out with her family and friends. She is thankful for this new opportunity, and can't wait to publish articles about topics she's passionate about! 🩷🌸✨