you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Overcoming Procrastination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

It can be hard to commit to the things that we don’t necessarily want to do like chores, work or homework from classes. Many of us have been procrastinators in more than one occasion and odds are we will continue to procrastinate unless we find a strategy that works for us. First, it is important to understand that there is a difference between being lazy and procrastinating. Procrastinating is an active process, you do something else to avoid doing what you are supposed to, while being lazy is simply a passive process that describes the unwillingness to do any action. We all still beat ourselves up for procrastinating and wish we could have more motivation to get certain things done. Here are some strategies that will help you get things done.

1. Forgive yourself for procrastinating before

Solving any problem starts with acceptance and it’s followed by recognizing that beating yourself up for it is not going to solve it. Instead, let go of the baggage of your previous habits and start fresh with a new mindset.

2. Give yourself a reward

If you have something to look forward to after completing a task, chances are you will do it willingly and efficiently. Treat yourself to your favorite candy or that cute top you saw at a boutique could motivate you to complete something you need to get done.

3. Don’t leave for tomorrow what you can do today

Get your tasks out of the way as soon as possible so that they don’t stack up on top of each other! If you can do it today, think about how good it will feel to be free from it tomorrow.

4. Minimize distractions

When it comes to getting work done, you need to focus on that one thing in order to avoid procrastination. Try turning off your phone or putting it on silent to prevent any distractions from driving you away from your goal.

Photo by: Raywoo / Getty Images

5. Keep a to-do list

Writing down the things you need to do helps with keeping your mind organized and prevents you from forgetting any important details. Numbering your tasks by priority also helps with time management when you are trying to figure out where to start.

6. Start by the bottom of the pyramid

If you have a lot of tasks at once, start with the hard ones early on. That way when they are done with you will just have the minor things to worry about. Your energy is bound to decrease so make sure to start by the most demanding task and then follow it by the smaller ones that are more enjoyable.

7. Time yourself

When you start a new task, time yourself while you do it. This will keep you focused and aware of how long it should take you to complete it.

8. Change your approach

Instead of referring to tasks as things you “have to do” or “need to do,” say something like “I choose to do.” this will help psychologically to get you in a positive mindset that will encourage you to do your work more willingly.

9. Get a human reminder

Ask someone to check up on you and your progress, it could be a friend, study buddy or even your supervisor or mentor. This will serve as an incentive to do your work right the first time so that they don’t correct you and will also remind you to manage your time well.

10. Give yourself a break

Why do we procrastinate in the first place? Is it because we don’t want to do things or because we find other things more attractive? Attraction to other things is more often the case than not. To overcome this, give yourself a break now and then to do whatever it is you find more attractive for a short amount of time and then get back to your task.

Photo by: Raywoo / Getty Images