Online Shopping Struggles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

To say that I love online shopping is an understatement. I adore it. Online shopping is one of those things that literally just gives me life and happiness (even when I know I should be doing homework or when I don’t have money to spend). I know most of us can relate to getting those email promotions, searching for a specific item you want/need and being able to look at one items one by one…it’s just easier and less overwhelming than going to the mall sometimes.

But…all good things also have their down sides.

I know I’ve always had the mindset that I need to try something on just to be sure it’ll look good on me. Online shopping takes this little in-store shopping perk away. That’s still not a deal breaker for me though, but what is a deal breaker are these online websites that have terrible return rates, forms of communications and incorrect size guides.

For example, Tobi, one of my (used to be) all-time favorite online shopping sites, has no phone number you can contact if there was a problem with your order (at least not that I’ve been able to find). I ordered a pretty large order almost a month ago and one of my items was missing. The only form of contact I could find was their customer service email. So, I emailed that and two weeks later I am still without a response. As of right now, I am out $38 for the item that is missing and they are no longer in business with a loyal customer. **peace sign**

Not only does their communication lack, but they also have no place for people to write reviews on an item. For most websites, I rely on this since I usually like to try on things before-hand, just like I mentioned. How does it fit? Is it worth the price? It’s like playing the lottery with Tobi. Sorry, but I don’t carry a measuring tape around (nor do I think I even own one) everywhere and I’m sure most people don’t either.

Another website, which is like my holy grail is Lulu’s. I love love love everything they have. I wish I had an infinite budget whenever I’m browsing on their website. I’ve ordered from them countless times and so far I have never had an issue. But, when returning something, it takes FOREVER to get my refund. I’m sure this is similar for most places, but it just feels like an eternity when it comes to most online stores.

These are the two clothing websites I’ve shopped from the most, so I have most of my online shopping experience from them, but I’m positive other people have had similar issues with other online stores as well. So, I raise the question, is online shopping really worth the stress that comes after?

All in all, yes, it is still worth it. It is more convenient, you can find what you need with just a click of a button and it’s just exciting. But, being more aware of the websites we’re ordering from, their return policies, reviews, whether something will fit you weird or not, etc. is definitely something we should all be more conscious of.

Keep these things in mind the next time you’re going on an online shopping haul!

Xoxo,

Adri

Cover Photo Source