photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Finally, it is 2020, the mark of a new year and a new decade! To most people, January is the embodiment of a reset button, the opportunity to create concrete goals and aspirations that will improve one’s lifestyle. However, this is also the time where I lie to myself the most. For years I have been constantly telling myself I want to eat healthier and exercise more. I tell myself I want to read more books and I want to talk to myself with more kindness. But, by the third week of January, I become a lost cause and tell myself, “Well there’s always next year.”

However, because it is the beginning of a new decade, I have decided to take a different approach to cultivate personal growth through the art of manifestation. Manifestation is coming to the understanding that you can change a situation through conscious decisions and intending a vision to happen at your will. For example, instead of saying, “This year I want to exercise more frequently,” you can replace that narrative with, “This year I will exercise more frequently and I’m making a conscious decision to see it through.” The second statement has greater power than what you might imagine because you are directing positive energy in a clear direction. Another way manifestation works is by reframing negative thoughts, training your mind to be optimistic and to see everything as a learning opportunity.

An important thing to note is that forced positivity and pretending things are okay is not a good thing. Manifesting includes feeling all your emotions through every up and down, every confusing and hurt moment, and all the sparks of happiness. Manifesting takes time and does not mean you have to complete every goal within a certain time limit. You can direct positive energy into the universe and sometimes the universe will tell you no. That is okay, it does not mean you are a failure. Rejection is a redirection, and having this mindset makes all the difference that can be seen in the long run. 

There is no fixed agenda. However, make clear statements with a “can-do” attitude and understand that there is no right or wrong. Just a series of possibilities and outcomes allows you to gain a better insight into yourself. I linked a video by “Lavendaire” who shares insightful manifestation habits and tips in hopes that it sparks motivation and inspiration.

Lidia (She/Her) is a senior majoring in Digital Communications and Media. When she is not petting dogs on the sidewalk or re-watching Harry Potter, she is scribbling away on any surface she can find. Lidia is passionate about writing critical and culturally relevant content.