This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Comedy has always been seen as a place for men, hence the phrase: “Women aren’t funny”. Comparing past films with an all-male cast and all-female cast, the latter never do as well. But that will never stop the women of comedy!

What a time it is for a ‘Charlie’s Angels’ remake 19 years after the original film. Being based on the 1970 tv series, the female dominant film debuted in 2000.

Many years later, the detective agency run by Charlie has expanded internationally and a new generation of detectives (called Angels) are taking on big jobs. The premise has been recycled and morphed over time to fit different storylines but seeing women in action is always empowering. 

What might be more intriguing than the storyline is the cast. Kristen Stewart’s most memorable role happened to be the center of a supernatural love triangle and once the franchise ended, she seemed to fall from the public eye for a bit. Every movie since has gone to prove that she’s capable of being more than an angsty teen, however. It will be interesting to see Stewart in a role that highlights the strengths of femininity. 

‘Charlie’s Angels’ have always been iconic. From 1970 to now, the three female figures have been the inspiration for skits, picture poses, costumes, and much more! Whether the film proves to be as good as the original or not, let’s not forget the importance of representation. Every generation has had their idols that they aspire to be. Actress Awkwafina explained to Fox 28 that, “[After ‘Charlie’s Angels’] I latched on to strong Asian-American idols – Margaret Cho, Lucy Liu – that represented us as truly authentic beings.”. This movie has the opportunity to become a symbol of feminism and strength to young girls across the globe as it once was years ago. 

Catch ‘Charlie’s Angels’ in theaters on November 15th, 2019.

Hey y’all! My name is Avery Coffey and before you ask, I love coffee. I reside in Florida, but Kentucky is where my heart is. Coffee is one of my few addictions. I love creating and painting; there’s no other feeling than accomplishing a vision of your own. I’m studying Creative Writing at FIU and hope to get a certificate in Film Studies so I’ll have a purpose to analyze movies! I hope you’re able to find some guidance and helpful tips through my writing!