NASA’s Incredible New Discovery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Earlier this week, NASA made an incredible discovery that could change the future of life as we know it: a new solar system that may contain habitable planets. Light-years from our own solar system, exists a new solar system called TRAPPIST-1. The solar system is said to contain up to three habitable planets.

Since the news broke out, more and more information about this solar system has been emerging. TRAPPIST-1 is around 39 light-years from our planet, containing a dwarf star orbited by seven Earth-sized planets. This solar system’s star is much dimmer than our own, and the planets are much closer in proximity that those in our system. The expectations are high for three of these planets, its habitability suggests that oceans, and other life forms are present in these worlds.

For now, we await more information on this grand step in the search for life outside of our solar system.

Currently a Senior at Florida International University studying English and Sociology. If she's not in class, you can probably find her running around campus with a cup of Trenta Black Tea Lemonade from Starbucks, trying to find the best place to study for the LSAT cause your girl is trying to head to Law School next year. Follow her around while she tries to balance school life, LSAT prep, friends, family, an endless amount of involvements and a committted relationship through her final year of undergrad! If you want a peek into her life, you can always take a peek at her Instagram!