This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

With summer just around the corner it is time to start putting away the scarves and taking out the bikinis! Now summer is not all about the itty bitty bikinis it is also about Nail Art. Bright and Bold are what you should be aiming for when it comes to your nails this season. When you are walking into the nails salon there are no rules these days. Patterns, textures, and interesting shapes are no longer just references to fashionable tops, but also to your fabulous nails!

Jennifer Lopez is not only a judge for American Idol but she is also stealing the spotlight with her bold choice in nail color. “Radiant Orchid” as seen on Jennifer Lopez is Pantone’s official color of 2014! Of course there are more purple tones out there to choose from, but why shy away?

Long, dark, and oh so trendy! These rounded nails made a statement in New York fashion week last fall, and are back to steal the show once more. This nail design may look a little intimidating now but if you pair it with a matte finish or textured top coat it will transform into an everyday look.

Subtle and Chic! Painting each individual nail a different color is a tad overwhelming, but if you want to be a little rebellious without having any regrets this is it! Adding a glitter over the top of the ring finger is a great way to make an average manicure a little more glam.

Are you a true fan? Guys support their teams by painting their chests or faces for big games. Girls on the other hand get creative and support with nail art! Pretty Little Liars may not be back until summer, but fans are not shying away from A. Show your school, team, or show spirit with your nails this summer.

Remember being in elementary school and always wanting to get a French manicure when your mom would take you with her to the nail salon? Well now French manicures do not just come with a white tip. Celebrities these days have been seen not only with designed tips, but also mixing and matching their nude nails with purple tones, bright yellows, and even Minnie mouse!

There is an abundance of nail trends out there so do not be afraid of mixing and matching colors and patters that you think fit your style. Just like pairing the perfect shoe with the right pair of seven jeans can complete and outfit so can the right manicure. When it comes to this trend it is one that will be sticking around for a long time so why not be playful with it? So all you college girls out there make your personal choice of nail art trends 2014 right now and turn your nails from so last year to a fashion statement all on their own!