This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

This year came out of nowhere and changed all of our lives. Slashing through many of the hopes and plans we were looking to fulfill in 2020. My life was changing a lot with things I never even thought would be in the cards for the upcoming year, good and bad. However, that is how life usually works, always bringing the unexpected and shoving us right out of our comfort zones. All the transitions I have been experiencing and the uncertainty I have been feeling led me to a psychic. The only time I had ever spoken to a seer was when I was in 6th grade and went to get my tarot cards read at a school fair. This occurrence, though, was a more serious and realistic encounter. 

The medium only permitted two people in at once because of the pandemic, so my best friend, Sheila, and I went together. The meeting took place in her living room. There was no mystical set-up or any of the theatrical gimmicks I experienced as a child seeing the psychic from the fair. Her cozy house had typical Hispanic decorations any of our grandmothers would own, which made sense given her Columbian roots. The ambiance immediately felt homey and safe, especially since we kept our masks on to follow safety precautions. 

She offered us the most delicious coffee I’d ever had in my life. The reading we received was a coffee cup reading, also known as tasseography, so we were instructed to leave a bit of coffee at the bottom (which was difficult considering how amazing it tasted). Then she took the cups, swirled them around, and flipped them over a paper towel. Everything she told us about our futures came from the patterns left inside the cup, which she interpreted for us. 

The psychic proceeded to tell me so many predictions, it was difficult to remember them all afterward. If I ever go again (which I’m planning on doing in December), I think it would be a great idea to record our conversation if she is comfortable with it. She asked me to provide her with three questions for her to focus on. After struggling for a second, I decided to inquire about my career aspirations, love, and family health. I am not going to list everything she forecasted, but the main idea behind my reading was that I needed to pursue my dreams as soon as possible, and I would find success. There was not much talk of any concrete relationships in my coffee cup (apparently just a bunch of flings) as opposed to my friend Sheila’s romance-filled reading. And there were a couple of random things she also saw, such as me seeing all of Europe, having a son in the future, and switching to a better job soon. 

As the experience came to a close, I left with many questions. Some of which I hope to ask when I return in December. But I was also left with a sense of purpose. My dream job has always been a dilemma for me and sometimes it feels utterly hopeless, but — fake or not — I received some clarification on whether I should continue to pursue that path. Maybe it was exactly what I needed to hear. I came out inspired and maybe a little less obsessed with looking for a romantic connection with anyone. Instead, I felt more connected with my plans for the future. Most importantly, I felt more connected with myself and not the idea of anyone else. 

As you’re all probably suspecting, I also have my doubts about whether it was real or not. But does it matter? It was a positive experience, something new that I hadn’t done before, and something that got me excited for the future. Regardless, I would recommend this adventure to anyone, especially anyone who is also feeling slightly lost and questioning their place in the world. Who knows? Maybe you’ll leave as inspired as me. 

If you would like to visit the same psychic I saw, or just want a bit more information, send me a message on my Instagram @rachelglez. I’d be happy to share any further details with you!

Rachel is currently an English Major at Florida International University. She loves fashion, movies, books, and theater. Her dream is to move to California and work for a publishing company while she auditions for acting roles on the side. The arts are her passion, and this includes writing! If you ever want to discuss any of these things with her, feel free to reach her at her Instagram @rachelglez.