This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

New shows and movie releases drop on a regular basis on several streaming platforms. HBO Max is becoming more notorious for this since the success of shows such as Euphoria and Game of Thrones premiering on the platform. So, if you’re done binge-watching on Netflix or simply interested in some fresh new titles this month, here are some Must-Watch TV Shows that are on HBO Max.

Winning time: the rise of the lakers dynasty

For the fans that love the 80s aesthetic or a Lakers fan, you will definitely love Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty. Los Angeles Lakers fans have been spoiled with multiple championships and an All-Star team with some of the most legendary athletes in the NBA. Now, fans get to watch an HBO series about the team’s success story, with the era starting with the drafting of Magic Johnson (Quincy Isaiah) and the purchase of the team by Jerry Buss (John C. Reilly). The series not only scores with basketball fans, but with people who love shows set in the 1980s. The whole series is shot with filters that make the footage look vintage, which can be aesthetically appealing to some viewers. Not only does this series showcase the chronicle of the team’s professional lives but personal lives as well. Even if you are not a huge basketball fan, this show is riveting by conveying how this team has become one of the most dominant dynasties on and off the court.

The tourist

For those that are into the thrillers genre, The Tourist is like an Australian version of Fargo with sharp dialogue, plotting, and an amazing performance from Jamie Dornan. The story takes place in Australia with a man waking up in the Australian Outback with no recollection of his memories of who he is. As he tries to piece together his memories, he must use the few clues he has to discover his identity before his past comes to haunt him.

peacemaker

Based on the Suicide Squad DC Comics character, Peacemaker is the first DC Extended Universe spinoff television series that serves as a continuation from 2021’s The Suicide Squad. After recovering from his injuries from the previous film, Cristopher Smith/Peacemaker (John Cena) is forced to join an undercover black ops squad, A.R.G.U.S. Which is the government organization in the DC Universe that is headed by Amanda Waller that is depicted as a parent organization for the Squid Squad organization. The mission is known as “Project Butterfly” is to identify and eliminate parasitic butterfly creatures who are hosting human bodies around the world. Created by James Gunn, Peacemaker delivers an entertaining show that is filled with James Gunn comedy and direction that creates a clever continuation from the Suicide Squad. With an audience score of 88% and Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, “John Cena’s still in solid form in Peacemaker, leading a bloody good time that gives writer-director James Gunn full permission to let his freak flag fly.

succession:

When it comes to watching rich people behave badly, Succession portrays it well. This Jesse Armstrong series conveys the power struggles of the members of the excessively wealthy Roy family, aging patriarch Logan Roy is contemplating his successor and the future plans for the company. Despite the succession plan from Logan Roy, there are multiple twisted family dynamics, creating an overall message about how wealth and power make people do horrific things. With clashing personalities from an array of characters, from power-hungry Kendall (Jeremy Strong) to immature Roman (Kiernan Culkin), it’s no wonder that this show was able to attain good reviews online. Scoring a 94% on the Tomatometer and an audience score of 85%, “Secession is a powerful and chaotic, allowing creator Jesse Armstrong and his writers to show off what they do best: smart plotting and bitterly funny one-liners delivered full of venom.” I highly recommend binge-watching this series since Season 3 came out in 2021, and how has been green-lit for a fourth season.

THE SEX LIVES OF COLLEGE GIRLS:

With the comedy stylings of Mindy Kaling, The Sex Lives of College Girls brings in that weird teenage girl living through the modification of college life. The show follows four girls who are thrown together during freshman year as roommates begin navigating their new freedom on the Essex College campus. As promised, the show deals with a lot of sex but also manages to showcase the awkwardness of those in-between years as an adolescent to adult. And since this is a Mindy Kaling production, you can expect a lot of embarrassing, yet funny college exploits.

the gilded age:

If you are into period dramas or a major history buff, the Gilded Age is a new HBO series from Downtown creator Julian Fellowes. As history buffs will know, the Gilded Age was a period of immense economic change, a great conflict between new systems and old systems, and huge fortunes were made from the New Money class with names such as John D. Rockefeller. The story takes place in 1882 when a young Marian Brooke moved from Pennsylvania after the death of her father to live with her aunts that come from a long line of generational wealth. The Brooke family later gets into a social war with New Money neighbors, a railroad tycoon, and his wife, George, and Bertha Russel. Even if you are not into period dramas, this show has an amazing and seasoned cast, starring Cynthia Nixon, Christine Baranski, Louisa Jacobson, Carrie Coon, and Broadway’s Audra McDonald.

Born and raised in Miami, FL, Amanda Ultimo is a Management and International Business major at The University of Georgia. Amanda has served as Lead Campus Ambassador for The Women's Network's FIU chapter and writer for HerCampus FIU, both organization that help to empower collegiate women.