This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.
Normal People

It took me a while to watch this Hulu-original show. But when I finally did, I was angry with myself for not starting it sooner. This show follows the romance between Connell and Marianne — two Irish young adults that separate and reunite multiple times during their high school and college career. Showcasing what a twin flame relationship is like, viewers are immediately hooked as they wonder whether the couple will finally get their happy ending or not. 

Vis a Vis (Locked Up)

Vis a Vis, also known as Locked Up, is a Spanish crime drama that follows the stories of several women in prison. If you like Orange Is the New Black, this show is the Spanish version you never knew you needed. In my opinion, it’s an even better watch. Whether you speak Spanish or not, you can watch this show with subtitles on Netflix, and you’ll be taken on a wild ride. Vis a Vis has romance, drama, and a lot of action, but the best part is that each character develops wonderfully, and you learn to fall in love with even the most unexpected ones. I binged this during quarantine, and it quickly became one of my all-time favorites.

All American

A friend recommended this show to me, and at first, I was a bit skeptical because it seemed like any other high school show that drips with immaturity and unrealistic scenarios. However, my first impression was completely wrong, and I quickly learned to appreciate the show for how much representation it showcased. Not only did it constantly address racial issues, but it also put a spotlight on mental illness and addiction. Overall, I am glad I watched this show despite my initial protests, and it honestly deserves more attention in comparison to other high school-based shows for how well it covers serious topics. 

Outlander

This was another show that was originally recommended to me by a friend, and it is now pretty high on my list of all-time favorite shows. Outlander follows the story of British Army nurse Claire Randall as she accidentally travels back in time to 1743, and the world as she knows it is permanently changed. Despite the prominent historical theme that this show carries, there is not one dull or boring moment throughout the entire series. Outlander also allows viewers to witness one of the greatest romances of all time, and the whole time you’ll be rooting for what seems to be an impossible love.

Rachel is currently an English Major at Florida International University. She loves fashion, movies, books, and theater. Her dream is to move to California and work for a publishing company while she auditions for acting roles on the side. The arts are her passion, and this includes writing! If you ever want to discuss any of these things with her, feel free to reach her at her Instagram @rachelglez.