Must-Watch International TV Shows and Movies:

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Ever since Parasite became the most popular international film to have come across the United States, Hollywood is extending more international films to reach success in the U.S. Hence, here are some listed international TV series and films that can be watched in theaters, Netflix, and other streaming services. Even though these films and shows might not pop up on your trending section or social media, there is an array of hidden gems of international media. Many of these films and shows showcase drama, comedy, and suspense. From the coming-of-age realism of Italian film “The Hand of God” to the romance of Korean drama “Business Proposal“, here are some of the best international movies and TV shows:

THE HAND OF GOD

Origin: Italy

Director: Paolo Sorrentino

Cast: Filippo Scotti, Luisa Ranieri, Toni Servillo, Teresa Saponangelo, Marlon Joubert, Betty Pedrazzi

” È stata la mano di Dio”, or The Hand of God is an Italian film that is set in 1980s Naples, where young Fabietto pursues his love for football and undergoes the difficulties of adolescence. When misfortune is brought to the family, Fabietto experiences changes that shape him into a young adult and a promising future as a filmmaker. This has to be one of the best coming-of-age films I have seen in a very long time, delivering a very deep message that growing up is never easy, but it often makes for rich and expressive storytelling. The Hand of God is not a work of fiction either, it’s “Paolo Sorrentino’s memoir about his teenage years in Naples in the 1980s, about the enveloping embrace of family love, the numbing sharpness of grief, and the way pain is sometimes the thing that kickstarts ambition.” For those eager to watch, I definitely recommend looking into Neopolitain culture and folklore since the film presents a lot of symbolism and motifs that only Neopolitains would know. However, I definitely recommend this film for my Italian lovers. Trailer

SOUNDS LIKE LOVE

Origin: Spain

Director: Juana Macias

Cast: Maria Valverde, Alex Gonzalez, Elisabeth Casanovas, Susana Abaitua, Miri Pérez-Cabrero, Roger Berruezo

Sounds like Love (Fuimos Canciones) is a 2021 romantic comedy based on the bestselling book series by Elisabeth Benavent and directed by Juana Macias. This film tells the story of Maca, a 30-year-old who lives in Madrid, who is stuck working as an assistant for an oppressive and shallow fashion influencer. Despite her friends and all her endeavors to make the most of life and happiness, Maca’s ex Leo suddenly returns to her life. While Maca had moved on from Leo, she has to face her suppressed emotions and confront the man that obliterated her self-esteem and faith in men. Trailer

FLEE

Origin: Denmark

Director: Jonas Poher Rasmussen

Cast: Behrouz Bigdeli, Belal Faiz, Rashid Aitouganov, Bo Asdal Andersen, Tormod Ringnes

Flee recounts the story of Amin Nawabi as he tells his journey as a child refugee from Afghanistan to Denmark. This film is an animated docudrama directed by Jonas Poher Rasmussen and has been awarded multiple accolades since its release in December 2021. Awarded the Gothman Independent Film Award for Best Documentary Feature and nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature Film. This film not only represents the struggles of refugees in Europe but LGBTQ+ representation as well. Unlike the other films that can be easily found on Netflix, Flee can still be streamed on Hulu and Amazon Prime. Trailer

back to 15

Origin: Brazil

Director: Vivianne Jundi, Dainara Toffoli

Cast: Maisa Silva, Amanda Azevedo, Katie Anne Moy, Camila Queiroz, Lucca Picon, Caio Cabral

Back to 15, is basically an homage to its predecessor film, 13 going on 30 (but make it Brazilian). Back to 15 tells the story of Anita, a woman that is unhappy with work and her personal life. When she returns to her hometown for her sister’s wedding, she takes refuge in her room and suddenly turns on her hold computer that magically transports her back to her freshman year of high school. Once she discovers a way to travel back to when she was 15, she makes changes that drastically impact the future. If you love teen dramas and comedies, I highly recommend watching this series on Netflix. Trailer

ZERO

Origin: Italy

Director: Antonio Dikele Distefano

Cast: Giuseppe Dave Seke, Daniela Scattolin, Virigina Diop, Beatrice Granno, Madior Fall, Dylan Magon

Not only is this show grounded in real life, but it manages to showcase a population that hasn’t been represented in Italian media. This series is about a shy teen with the power to turn invisible to help defend his neighborhood. Also, this show manages to maintain a good balance on social issues that resonates with a lot of second-generation Italians. Trailer

all of us are dead

Origin: South Korea

Director: Lee Jae-kyoo, Kim Nam-su

Cast: Park Solomon, Cho Yi-hyun, Chan-Young Yoon, Park Ji-hoo, Lee Yoo-Mi, Yoo In-soo

Based on the Webtoon “Now at Our School” by Joo Dong-genu, All Of Us Are Dead is a series that paints a cynical portrait of high school, adolescence, and politics. This series takes place in a South Korean high school where the students must escape after a zombie outbreak. Those that are into Korean TV series, especially major fans of Squid Game will love binge-watching this show on Netflix. Trailer

business proposal

Origin: South Korea

Director: Park Sun-ho

Cast: Ahn Hyo-seop, Kim Se-joeong, Kim Min-kyu, Seol In-ah

Business Proposal is an ongoing Korean drama series based on a Webtoon with the same title by HaeHwa. Business Proposal is about a woman Shin Ha-ri, who is pressured to go on a blind date in the place of her friend. When it turns out that the prospective partner is the CEO of the company she works at, he bribes Ha-ri into pretending to be his fiancee in exchange for a payment of 800,000 won per date. This show can definitely help those practicing Korean or fans that simply love romantic K-Dramas. Trailer

through my window

Origin: Spain

Director: Marcal Fores

Cast: Julio Pena, Clara Galle, Hugo Arbues, Guillermo Lasheras

Through my Window (A Traves de mi ventana) is a 2022 Spanish teen romance film starring Clara Galle (Raquel) and Julio Pena (Ares). Based on the novel of the same name by Ariana Godoy, Through my Window takes place in Spain, where Raquel is suffering from a longtime crush on her neighbor, Ares. Raquel secretly watches Ares from afar and the two have never spoken until he needs her WiFi password. Even though the synopsis of this film sounds very strange, it makes for a good romantic film. The acting is fresh, all the reactions seem genuine, and you can easily fall in love with these characters. Trailer

bad seeds

Origin: France

Director: Kheiron

Cast: Kheiron, Catherine Deneuve, Louison Blivet, Adil Dehbi, Andre Dussollier

Mauvaises herbes, or Bad Seeds is a French film that approaches mature, deep topics with a sense of comedy. Bad seeds is set in Paris where petty criminal and former street kid, Wael finds himself taking charge of a group of six teenagers expelled for being troublemakers. Even though this film is categorized as a comedy, there are plenty of dramatic scenes that deal with bullying, S.A., and the struggles of adolescence. This film will remind you of “pretty much any ’80s movie where an unorthodox teacher breaks through with a group of disaffected teens can work here” (think Dead Poet’s Society or Lean on Me but Parisian). Trailer

drive my car

Origin: Japan

Director: Ryusuke Hamaguchi

Cast: Reika Kirishima, Sonia Yuan, Toko Miura, Hidetoshi Nishijima, Masaki Okada, Satoko Abe

Based on the Murakami short story of the same title, Drive My Car follows an aging, widowed theater director and actor who seeks a chauffeur. He eventually grows close to the young woman hired to drive him to and from rehearsals. Although this film is heart-wrenching and tearful, Drive My Car is an existentially challenging meditation on grief, regret, and the healing power of art. Not only is this film a fascinating body of work, but it has achieved many awards and the overall reception has been amazing. Winning the Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film, Japan Academy Prize for Best Picture, Cannes Film Festival Award for Best Screenplay, and now nominated for an Oscar. Drive My Car is currently available in selected theaters however, it is still available to stream on HBO Max and Apple TV. Trailer

luzzu

Origin: Malta

Director: Alex Camilleri

Cast: Jesmark Scicluna, Frida Cauchi, Michela Farrugia, Uday McLean, David Scicluna

Luzzu tells the story of a poor Maltese fisherman, Jesmark that is torn between joining a black-market operation or living a honest life for his family. Because of the new EU regulations on fishing in the Mediterranean, these limitation make it difficult for Jesmark to provide for his wife and newborn baby. Hence, he splits his time working as a fisherman and his new side gig to make sure he can provide for his family and save his marriage. I highly suggest watching this film since the visuals are so colorful and really represents Malta perfectly. Also, the director embeds himself into the world, as a firt-time director Camilleri “approached Malta with curiosity. Frustrated with the lack of an independent Maltese film culture, and frustrated that Malta is often used as a stand-in for other places in bigger films, Camilleri decided to travel to Malta and investigate what story he might tell. He became fascinated by the fishermen. ” Beautifully filmed and emotionally impactful, Luzzu is a must-watch film that portrays Malta with such beauty and authenticity. Trailer

SLALOM

Origin: France

Director: Charlene Favier

Cast: Noee Abita, Jeremie Reiner, Marie Denarnaud

Under the guidance of an ex champion, a promising 15-year-old girl trains as a professional skier. However, grooming and sexual exploitation are under the guise of mentorship in this film. This film is not autobiographical or based on true events, Director Charlene Favier states. Favier simply grew up in the Alps and skiied competitively as a girl, “I did indeed experience someone having a hold over me, but in another sporting context.” Even though this film is unrated, there is a lot of scenes with S.A. and child grooming that might be triggering to some audiences. Trailer

Born and raised in Miami, FL, Amanda Ultimo is a Management and International Business major at The University of Georgia. Amanda has served as Lead Campus Ambassador for The Women's Network's FIU chapter and writer for HerCampus FIU, both organization that help to empower collegiate women.