This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Movies are the perfect pass-time, whether it be for a date, a girl’s/boy’s night out, or a much needed break from living a hectic life. The issue with movies however is that unless you see the trailer on Twitter or Instagram, most people don’t know what movies are in theaters. This is the issue due to people relying on Netflix or Hulu for their television rather than their old television set. People used to be able to see the trailers for movies during the commercial break of their favorite show. But fear not! Below is a list of some of the most interesting movies that are coming out in the month of February!

1. Then Came You

Release date: February 1, 2019

This film stars Maisie Williams as Skye who is a bold teenager that has a terminal illness and becomes friends with a guy named Calvin who is played by Asa Butterfield. Calvin is a 19-year old hypochondriac who helps Skye complete her bucket list of things she wants to do before she passes away. In the transit of helping Skye complete her list, he learns to confront his own fears and ends up falling in love with Izzy who is played by Nina Dobrev.

2. Happy Death Day 2U

Release date: February 13, 2019

This movie is the sequel to Happy Death Day, if you haven’t watched the first movie, it has to do with a girl having to relive the day she dies over and over until she finds out who murdered her. The second movie is set right after where the first film ended in a sort of “Back to the Future” style.

3. What Men Want

Release date: February 8, 2019

This movie stars Taraji P Henson as Ali Davis who is a female sports agent which has been constantly blocked out by her male colleagues. When she’s passed up for a promotion, she goes to a psychic to seek answers and ends up drinking a tea that lets her hear men’s thoughts. This new power helps her in her career and the movie follows her while she tries to sign the NBA’s next star.

4. Miss Bala

Release date: February 1, 2019

This movie stars Gina Rodriguez as Gloria who is a makeup artist from Los Angeles that decides to go pay her best friend Suzu Ramos and her godson a visit in Tijuana, Mexico. Gloria ends up getting caught up in cross-border crime. In the midst of the action and drama, Gloria finds a power she never knew she had when she is faced with various hard decisions as she tries to find her best friend Suzu.

5. The Prodigy

Release date: February 8, 2019

Taylor Schilling stars in The Prodigy as Sarah, who is the mother to a young Miles. In the movie, Sarah starts noticing some disturbing behavior in Miles, because of this behavior, Sarah must find out what has taken over her son. Sarah decides to follow her maternal instincts and protect her son instead of investigating further and looking back at past events that may have caused this change in her son.

6. Cold Pursuit

Release date: February 8, 2019

Liam Neeson stars in Cold Pursuit as Nels Coxman, Nels is a normal family man and “good Samaritan” living a quiet life with his wife. Unfortunately, his life is turned upside down when the news of his son passing unexpectedly reaches him. As Nels searches for the reason behind his son’s death, he comes across information about a drug lord called Viking who is played by Tom Bateman. Nels turns into a vigilante, killing every single one of Viking’s associates to get to Viking and the bottom of his son’s death.

7. Isn’t It Romantic

Release date: February 13, 2019

This movie stars Rebel Wilson as Natalie who is a New York City architect that aspires to be an amazing architect. Unfortunately, she doesn’t get noticed at her job as much as she would want to be. Apart from her life being a wreck, Natalie who’s never believed in love, gets into an altercation with a mugger that leaves her unconscious which turns her life into a romantic comedy (and she’s the leading lady).

8. Alita: Battle Angel

Release date: February 14, 2019

This movie is set several centuries in the future with an abandoned Alita played by Rosa Salazar who is found by Ido who is played by Christoph Waltz. Ido is a cyber-doctor and takes her into his clinic. When Alita wakes up, she has no recollection of who she is or the world she woke up in. The movie follows Alita as she experiences everything for the first time and tries to navigate her life in the streets of Iron City. Ido tries to shield Alita from her past, but Alita’s new friend Hugo who is played by Keean Johnson tries to shine a light on her past. Eventually Hugo and Alita grow an affection to each other which is threatened by deadly forces that come for Alita. Because of these deadly forces, Alita finds out that she has amazing fighting abilities which she uses to help her friends and family. 

9. Fighting With My Family

Release date: February 14, 2019

This movie is based on the real-life story of the WWE Divas’ champion Paige. It shows how Paige and her brother Zak who came from a family of wrestlers, share a common love of WWE. In the movie, Paige and Zak get an audition for the WWE which seemed like the family’s dream was coming true but Paige and Zak are shown that to be a WWE superstar demands more from them than they ever thought possible.

10. The Amityville Murders

Release date: February 8, 2019

This movie takes place after Ronald Defeo Jr. took a rifle and murdered his whole family while they were sleeping. When they took him to court, he said that the voices in his house made him kill his entire family, the movie goes into detail on their story and that night on November 13, 1974.

Angely is a Biology major on a Pre-Med track, she is hoping to be either a Neurologist or Oncologist in the future. She has a high interest in the Environmental Sciences and hopes to get her Master's degree and Ph.D in Environmental Sciences in order to do research on coral reefs. She is a volunteer at Nicklaus Children's Hospital and Co-Fundraising chair for Tri Beta.