Mountain Gorilla’s on the Rise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The Mountain Gorilla, also known as the Silverback, has been gradually increasing in population size. From the 680 that were reported left in the world about 10 years ago, to now having nearly a thousand of them!

Thanks to the International Union for Conservation of Nature, they are now considered to be endangered as opposed to critically endangered. These beautiful animals live in just a few parts of the world, Rwanda and Uganda, and only have two protected areas in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Despite this, many parts of their habitats are being affected by the growing human population as they continue to cultivate near the border of the gorilla habitat.

(Photo by World Wildlife)

With efforts like anti-poaching patrols, veterinary interventions, and other conscious efforts, the gorillas have been able to continue to thrive. Gorillas are still in harm’s way due to poaching, and even certain human-introduced diseases. In order for the population to remain at this high number, efforts to protect and help the species need to continue, in order for their population count to increase. Though their numbers are at the highest they have ever been recorded so far, the Eastern Gorilla species as a whole still remains critically endangered. This shows that change is possible if people continue to be conscious of the efforts needed to help keep them afloat.

(Gif by Giphy)​

Many other species in the world that have been in the critically endangered watch list have been able to bump up in numbers, and as the world continues to progress and humans continue to grow in numbers, we should continue to want to protect our fellow animals.

If you would like to learn more about what species need help and what you could do for them, please visit https://www.iucn.org/ to keep updated!

(Photo by VectorStock)

Nicole is currently a senior at Florida International University studying English. She wants to become a full-time writer for a journalistic blog or company in the future, and hopes to publish a few novels along the way. Her truest of loves include Disney, Anime, music, her dogs, writing, and Harry Potter. She is a lover of makeup, and telling people's stories from their eyes and her experiences. She is currently a Beauty Advisor at Riley Rose part-time, and hopes to continue working alongside them in the future. You can follow her journey on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/nicoli0o/ and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/nicoli0o_