Michael Flynn Pleads Guilty To Lying To The FBI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

President Trump’s former National Security Adviser, Michael Flynn, pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about conversations with the Russian ambassador last December, becoming the first senior White House official to cut a cooperation deal in the special counsel’s inquiry into election interference. The investigation is intensifying and details revealed Friday provide a clear picture of coordination between Flynn and other Trump advisers and their contacts with Russian officials to influence the election and international policy.

Flynn communicated with then-Russian Ambassador to the U.S. Sergey Kislyak. According to the FBI, this was after being asked by a senior Trump transition official to find out how foreign governments stood on a coming UN Security Council resolution about Israel. The documents do not disclose what Mr. Trump knew about Flynn’s discussions. The transition team was led by Vice President Mike Pence. The top members included Mr. Kushner, Mr. Trump’s first Chief of Staff Reince Priebus, and K.T. McFarland, who was Flynn’s deputy. 

President Trump denied any coordination between Russia and his campaign. “What has been shown is no collusion, no collusion. There’s been absolutely no collusion, so we’re very happy,” Trump said when asked about Flynn’s guilty plea, CNN reports.

In court last Friday morning, Flynn made several comments answering yes and no to questions from the judge. He told the judge he has not been coerced to plead guilty or been promised a specific sentence for the crime. In a statement, Flynn said he acknowledged that his actions “were wrong, and, through my faith in God, I am working to set things right.”

“My guilty plea and agreement to cooperate with the Special Counsel’s Office reflect a decision I made in the best interests of my family and of our country. I accept full responsibility for my actions,” he also mentioned. Flynn’s false statements also “mirror” those he made to White House officials, which resulted in his resignation in February.

Flynn is now facing a maximum sentence of 5 years in prison. However, the judge stated that he could impose a harsher or lighter sentence. The White House has declined to make any comments at this time. 

Cover photo source

My name is Amanda and I'm currently a senior at FIU studying Management. When I'm not busy writing, I love working on my photography, traveling, hanging out at the beach and creating content for my blog!