Miami’s Spring Break Rules

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

We are quite the warm and welcoming city when it comes to our visitors, but there are a few things that we should make known.

1. Pick Up your Trash                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Our beaches are for the most part very clean all  year round, but after our visitors head home we tend to notice that the landscape is a bit more littered than usual… 

source

So we just want to remind you that our beaches are in fact equipped with dozens of trash cans for you to practice your free throws all day long, as long as they make it to the trash at some point. And remember, just because you recycle doesn’t make something as small as a a straw rapper acceptable to throw on the ground.

2. Screen Yourself From the Sun                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Believe us when we say that the sun feels like it burns a bit brighter down here compared to most other places. We would hate to send you home looking like a lobster and feeling the “burn” for the next week or so… With that being said, please just use your sunscreen, hat, towel, or even bury yourself in some sand; Do what ya gotta do just as long as you’re safe from the sun!!

source

3. Do Not Rent a Convertible                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               It may look like a good idea, but its just not. Hot humid air blowing in your face, while the sun is beating down on your head and your thighs are accumulating sweat, while slowly sticking to the leather seats will just never be fun no matter how much you love spring break.

source

It’s nothing like this super misleading photo, we promise.

4. There Is More to Miami Than South Beach                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Do yourself a favor and explore a bit, because there’s way more to Miami than just one island! Wynwood, the Design District, Coconut Grove, Brickell, Key Biscayne, and Downtown are all full of great things to do too! Besides, you’ll need to find some way other than South Beach to entertain yourself than South Beach if you don’t like crowds.  

source

We truly do live where you vacation, so please just be nice to our home; We hope that you love it here as much as we do!