This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

In the news of fashion, the Met Gala 2020 theme and hosts have been revealed recently.

The theme for the event is “About Time: Fashion and Duration.” The theme is meant to take fashion styles and inspirations from the 19th and 20th centuries all the way to the present day. 

The idea of travelling through time through fashion looks is a concept that the invite-only attendees will have a lot of leeway with. 

(Anna Wintour, editor-in-chief of Vogue. Image Credit: Departures)

Andrew Bolton, a curator for the Costume Institute of the Met, spoke in an interview with the New York Times about the inspiration for the theme “About Time: Fashion and Duration.” The theme is inspired by author Virgina Woolf and French philosopher Henri Bergson.

“Fashion is indelibly connected to time,” Bolton said. “It not only reflects and represents the spirit of the times, but it also changes and develops with the times.”

Aside from announcing the theme, every year the Met Gala has different hosts and chairs who help lead the event. The 2020 show will be chaired by Anna Wintour and Louis Vuitton’s Nicolas Ghesquière, as well as celebrities Meryl Streep, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and Emma Stone.

(Met Gala 2020 Chairs. Image Credit: ET Style)

The Met Gala is an annual fundraising ball held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. It is held the first Monday of every May. The event has an exclusive guestlist (revealed by Vogue’s editor-in-chief herself, Anna Wintour) and an individual ticket for those not on the guestlist is tens of thousands of dollars.

Attendees like to stand out on the Met Gala’s red carpet. Every year, celebrities wear designer-labeled pieces to stick to the theme. Last year, these celebrities dress to represent what “Camp” means to them.

The 2019 theme was “Camp: Notes on Fashion.” Chairs for last year’s events were Anna Wintour, Lady Gaga, Harry Styles, Serena Williams, and Gucci creative director Alessandro Michele.

(Met Gala 2019 Chairs. Image Credit: US Weekly)

As previously mentioned, the Met Gala takes place the first Monday of every May. Get ready, while there is still some time before May 4 rolls around, I have a good feeling this may be one of the best years yet.

Emma is a sophomore at Florida International University studying Broadcast Media. She is from Miami and loves entertainment (music, tv shows, movies) and hopes to become an entertainment reporter after college. She is also involved on campus in her Panhellenic Council organization.