matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Meghan Markle Vs. The Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

She now goes by the title, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex but the rest of the world knows her as, Meghan Markle. Markle rose to the limelight when news broke out she was going to marry Prince Harry. This news broke many glass ceilings and boundaries in the Royal Families traditions. Markle is originally an American. Born to a Caucasian dad and an African American mom. She went to college at Northwestern before landing jobs in Hollywood. She is an activist and a fighter for Women’s rights. Meghan Markle is not the typical member of the Royal Family. Nevertheless, that only gave her more love and support from people around the world. However, The Kensington Palace, recently announced their investigation into the hateful, racist comments left behind on Twitter for Meghan Markle.

Ever since The Palace announced Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s engagement, there has been multiple racist articles about Markle’s heritage. Articles published about her exotic DNA to how Markle came from a cotton field family to a royal family. Markle’s ethnicity has always been talked about. However, within the few months of Markle’s pregnancy news, the racists comments are still pouring in. Especially, on social media. The Palace has found around 5,000 tweets surrounding an anti-Meghan hashtag. For example, any tweets made with the #Megxit. The Palace is currently working on deleting and reporting any vulgar comments about Meghan Markle.

References:

Foster, Max. “The Racist Abuse of Meghan Has Put Royal Staff on High Alert.” CNN, Cable News Network, 8 Mar. 2019, www.cnn.com/2019/03/07/uk/meghan-kate-social-media-gbr-intl/index.html.

Garcia-Navarro, Lulu. “Inside The Racist Online Attacks On Meghan Markle.” NPR, NPR, 10 Mar. 2019, www.npr.org/2019/03/10/701987112/inside-the-racist-online-attacks-on-meg….

Hi! My name is Sonya Islam. I am currently studying International Business at Florida International University. Some of my favorite things to do is constantly read up on pop culture, keep up with politics, and watching tv to relax. Those are actually some of my passions and hopefully, that passion is translated into the articles I write.