This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Just this past Wednesday, November 29th 2017, America woke up to the news that veteran news anchor for the Today Show Matt Lauer had been terminated from his position at NBC news. Wednesday morning on The Today Show, Savannah Guthrie and Hoda Kotb read a statement from NBC news Chairman Andrew Lack, on a “Detailed complaint” about Matt Lauer accusing him of “inappropriate sexual behavior in the work place.”

The statement read that after serious investigation and details to allude that this was not an “isolated incident”, although this was the first allegation against Lauer, the company finally decided to terminate his employment from NBC completely because the behavior was a “Clear violation of the company’s standards”.

The victims lawyer released a statement stating that the all she asked from this outcome of speaking out was that the news company would make the right decision.

Thursday morning it was reported that two more women employees anonymously come forward with allegations of sexual assault against Lauer. One of the women stated that in 2001, she was sexually assaulted by the anchor in his own office. Variety Magazine also published more allegations that they received anonymously, of the anchor “exposing himself” to women in the office, giving sexual gifts to a coworker along with a vulgar letter stating how he would use said gifts, and inviting women into to his hotel room while he was covering the Olympic Games.

Although NBC news sent out a statement that besides the complaints that were received Monday night, “current NBC News Management was never made aware of any complaints about Matt Lauer’s conduct”, Variety stated that several woman did complained about the behavior to executives at the news station but they felt that it “fell on deaf ears”.

This story has become national news as people every where are shocked that someone who has gone in down history as one of the most well known news anchors in the country, has committed such terrible acts. After first reporting on this story, Guthrie and Kotb stated how they are in shock and still contemplating how to go on after someone they have loved so much, as done these acts. They both sent their support to their long time friend Matt, but also to the victims and acknowledge the persons courage for coming out with the story and seeking for the right actions to be done.

It seems that women everywhere are coming out with their own stories of sexual assault, thanks to the amount of women who have come forward with their stories regarding very well known Hollywood Men in power. This is very inspiring because it not only shows how much we are growing as a society that we are able to speak the truth no matter who the perpetrator is or how powerful they are, but it also shows that when one person tells their story it inspires another to as well.

You can Listen to Matt Lauer’s Full statement here : https://www.today.com/video/matt-lauer-there-are-no-words-to-express-my-sorrow-and-regret-1106709059921