This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Just like many other young women during the summer, I became addicted to iced matcha lattes and I never truly asked myself what was behind this delicious drink that would change my entire mood. Therefore, I decided to research everything about it and, surprisingly, I found a long list of benefits.

Like green tea, matcha comes from the Camellia sinensis plant but it is grown differently compared to other green teas. In the process, farmers cover the tea plants 20-30 days before they begin to harvest in order to avoid sunlight. Once the leaves are harvested, farmers remove the stems and veins and the leaves grow into a fine powder.

Matcha contains all the nutrients from the entire tea leaf. This causes the tea to have greater amounts of caffeine and antioxidants than any other green tea. Studies have found that matcha can help protect the liver, promote heart health, and help with weight loss.

Here are some of the benefits matcha provides:

• Rich in antioxidants

Antioxidants may help reduce cell damage and prevent chronic diseases.

• Helps to protect the liver

Matcha could prevent liver damage and help decrease the chances of liver disease.

• Increases brain function

Improves attention, memory, and reaction time. Contains caffeine and L-theanine, which can help improve many aspects of the brain.

• Can help prevent cancer

The compounds in matcha may inhibit the growth of cancer cells.

• Beneficial for the heart

Helps decrease several heart disease risk factors.

• Helps to lose weight

Studies have shown that it increases metabolism and fat burning.

Matcha is very easy to prepare and there are so many ways to prepare it. Get creative with your recipes!

Hilary is a senior studying Digital Broadcast Media at Florida International University. She enjoys beach walks, reading, writing, exercising, and anything with coffee. Her ultimate goal is to become a news anchor for the Hispanic media.