absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Marriott Combating Global Warming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

With global warming becoming a more prominent issue, the hospitality industry, specifically Marriott, has taken a step forward to reduce their plastic use.

Marriott, the largest hotel chain, which includes the Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, W Hotels and Courtyard has decided to eliminate their travel-sized toiletries. By December 2020 7,000 hotels around the world will be offering larger bottles in an attempt to reduce plastic waste. 

The hotel chain is expecting to reduce their plastic use by 30% with this change. 

Source: Drew Angerrer/ Getty

According to Marriott the small sized bottles were currently not being recycled. However, they will be making the new larger bottles out of recycled material.

Other hospitality giants such as IHG and Hilton hotels have also been implementing more environmentally friendly alternatives. Hilton hotels had announced the recycling of soap to make new bars of soap after sanitation. 

Arne Sorenson, CEO of Marriott International said, “It’s about half a billion little bottles we are using today and sadly disposing them inlandfill.”

Hi loves! My name is Juanita Cardona, I am a sophomore at FIU majoring in Public Relations, Advertising & Applied Communications (PRAAC). I was born in Colombia and have a passion for traveling. I love experiencing new cultures, especially their food. Off of that Im a big foodie and love to try out new places to eat, but my favorite food is definitely sushi. I enjoy writing on women's issues and being a voice for the minorities. I hope to continue to write and grow as a writer in general.
Hi! My name is Sonya Islam. I am currently studying International Business at Florida International University. Some of my favorite things to do is constantly read up on pop culture, keep up with politics, and watching tv to relax. Those are actually some of my passions and hopefully, that passion is translated into the articles I write.