This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

So, what’s a zine? Well, it’s a self-published magazine created by independent artists or groups of people. They can be of anything. Whether it be photography, poetry, journal entries and/or doodles. A zine can contain anything your heart desires, as long as you can print it on a page. You don’t need fancy machinery to print it out, you can use the printer you have at home to create zines. Anyone can do it.

black and white photo of a camera
Photo by Marx Ilagan from Pexels

We’re in the stage of quarantine where things don’t feel normal, but many have created their own routines. Zines can add some fun to your quarantine routine, especially if you’ve had a creative block since quarantine started.

Creating a new zine can be a fun project, while also taking away the seriousness that can come along with new projects. Making a little booklet filled with silly doodles or whimsical poetry can be the perfect remedy to any sort of creative block you might have.

For me, when I’m in that “writing zone”, the world around me easily melts away. When a project feels too big or I’m lacking motivation, though, all creative endeavors seem daunting. Zines help me get out of that headspace. Creating a zine for myself or to share with friends lets me have fun while I warm up to move on to a bigger project.

If you and your friends spent pre-COVID 19 nights drinking wine and creating art, this is something you could do together online. Having a fun arts-and-crafts night with pals can be the perfect escape from reality. Creating your own zine, big or small, is so rewarding; especially when you can share it with your friends.

If you want to make it a competition, everyone can vote for the best zine at the end of the night. Whoever wins will be crowned the Zine Queen until you gather for another arts-and-crafts night.

The Lalapurse Contents Flatlay
Her Campus Media

Young or old, if you have a brain, you can do it! You can use whatever you’d like: from polaroid’s, to dried flower petals, post-it notes or little scraps of wrapping paper. There is no limit to what you can create.

If you’re someone who’s biggest struggle is starting, that’s okay! Grab a journal or a few sheets of paper and start freewriting: don’t think. When you stop to think, that’s when you let your inner critic come through to bog you down. Just write, draw and feel free to do whatever you please.

Zines are meant to be dumb, weird, pastel, neon, dark or messy. They’re meant to be whatever you want them to be. They’re a stress-free way to make art. If you’re worried about messing up, remind yourself that your art isn’t permanent unless you want it to be.

Everyone should be creating these little introspective bits of art and literature. It’s fun, and it’ll add just a bit of brightness to your quarantine.

Start yours today. Remember, the first step is always starting, then you can figure it out from there.

Julia Gomez is a student of journalism at Florida International University and hopes to become an investigative journalist. She is experienced in writing about politics and pop culture, and has a passion for music and photography.