Photo of a "Love" sign
Photo of a "Love" sign
Rebecca Karlous
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

“Self-love is an ocean and your heart is a vessel. Make it full, and any excess will spill over into the lives of the people you hold dear. But you must come first.” -Beau Taplin

Let’s say you’re having one of those days. One of those days where you aren’t quite feeling like the best version of yourself. Maybe you failed a test. Maybe you got rejected. Maybe after hours of scrolling on social media, you found yourself comparing your life to a stranger’s, which led you to feel self-conscious. Let’s face it, we’re all human and it’s completely normal to not feel amazing every day. On a day like this, the easy solution would be to sit and wallow in self-pity. I mean, laying in bed all day and hiding away from the world? Very tempting. However, the better alternative to this is to practice acts of self-love. Practicing small acts of self-love is a great way to uplift yourself even on your worst day. If you need a better idea of how to practice this don’t fret. Here’s a list of small acts of self-love to get you started on your journey to loving yourself the way Kanye loves Kanye.

1. Start a gratitude journal:

A gratitude journal is any journal that you can use to write down things that you are grateful for. Try focusing on the things you love about yourself or your life and jot them down. Make an effort to write in it every day. 

2. Learn to stop comparing yourself to others:

In the age of social media, it’s easy to look at the lives of others online and compare them to yours. Not everything you see online is real. However, after scrolling down your feed and seeing a picture of someone on a yacht in Turks and Caicos while you’re at work, you are not going to be thinking this. Comparing yourself to others is a deep dark hole that is hard to get out of. When you find yourself going down this hole try to change your thought process. Try taking a break from social media. Remind yourself of all the things in your life to be grateful for instead of focusing on the negative. 

3. Do the little things that brighten your mood: 

We all have different things that make us feel better on a rough day. Maybe it’s putting a face mask on, taking a bubble bath, going for a run or binge-watching Netflix with a big bowl of ice cream. Even on your busiest days, it’s important to remember to treat yourself to some downtime. 

4. Spend time with loved ones:

Being surrounded by people you love can really uplift your mood. Whether it’s a friend, a significant other, a family member, etc. Even the comfort of your pet can be uplifting. It can be hard to get out of your head when you’re alone. Sometimes all we need is the comfort of having a loved one by our side. Try talking about what your feeling with someone instead of bottling it all up. 

5. Meditate:

It is said that putting aside even the smallest amount of time every day to meditate is extremely beneficial. Try turning off all your electronics and giving yourself some time to meditate. In a moment where you begin doubting yourself, a quick meditation session can put you in check. If you aren’t home when you feel like you need a moment of meditation, you can easily do it anywhere else. Some examples are your car, a quiet place on your school’s campus or even in a bathroom stall. 

Self-love is a journey that we all embark on in different ways. Sometimes what we really need is to put ourselves first and take care of our own needs. It’s okay to be selfish during times where what we really need is time to give love to ourselves.