Locro de Papa (Potato Soup)
Locro de Papa (Potato Soup)
Andrea Leyva

Locro de Papa (Potato Soup) Ecuadorian Recipe!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

This potato soup is called locro de papa, and it is a very easy and delicious Ecuadorian dish to make. The preparation is quick, and there are only a few steps. This recipe is for two servings, and the cook time is 30 minutes. My grandma’s recipe is one that everyone loves, and I hope you will too!

To start, get the potatoes. It is recommended to use both white and red potatoes to have an even tastier soup. Peel them thoroughly and cut them into medium-sized pieces. Take out a cooking pot and fill it with 8 cups of water. Put in the potatoes and the onion, garlic, salt and adobo, and continue by setting your stove at high heat.

The next step is to cover the cooking pot and leave your soup to cook. After about 30 minutes, it is time to check on your dish. The potatoes should be soft. If they are, then continue adding the next ingredients. Cut the mozzarella cheese into medium-sized pieces and add it in along with the Maggi chicken flavor bouillon, Goya seasoning, and milk. Mix everything together and remove the onion.

Lastly is the most important step, which is to serve and enjoy! This soup can be accompanied by avocado and rice on the side. This is optional, and each person can add as much or as little as they prefer. This nutritious vegetable is not only healthy, but it is also incredibly delicious. Locro de papa has been a favorite in my family for years. I hope you enjoy it too.

Ingredients

• 2 Lbs of White and Red Potatoes 

• ½ Onion

• 1 Tsp of Salt or to Taste

• 1 Tsp of Adobo without Pepper (Goya Recommended)

• 4 Oz of Mozzarella Cheese

• Maggi Chicken Flavor Bouillon

• ½ Cup of Milk

• 2 Garlic Cloves

• ½ Tsp of Goya Seasoning with Coriander and Annatto Packet

• Avocado (Optional)

• Rice (Optional)

Note: The author’s grandmother, Maria Correa, provided this recipe.

Andrea Leyva is a student at Florida International University, majoring in Communications. Her interests include learning about the behind the scenes of movies and tv shows, reading, and listening to music. She also enjoys hanging out with friends, watching plays, going to theme parks, and traveling. Andrea is very excited to share what she is passionate about through her articles!