danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

LInkedIn is Super Important: Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned so far in college, it’s this statement: Marketing yourself is IMPORTANT. Sooner or later, you’ll be looking for a job or internship that can help you become successful and lead you to your future career. You’ll want to look presentable to recruiters and employers with your impressive skills and amazing work experiences. Nowadays, having a fancy resumé isn’t the only tool accessible to you in order to properly market yourself. LinkedIn, a social networking business platform, is an extremely popular and essential way to make yourself known to future employers and market yourself to the best of your ability. Here’s why LinkedIn is such an important tool in marketing yourself in today’s digital world: 

1. It allows you to showcase your skills and accomplishments

Think of LinkedIn as an online resumé + a Facebook feel. You are marketing your professional self and showing people on the platform who you are and what you bring to the table. After creating a free account, you can start building your profile and adding different information about yourself, such as your school, major, and work experiences. Under each piece of information, you’re welcome to add as many details as you’d please. You can also add up to 50 skills about yourself, such as interpersonal skills, customer service, etc. You can also list any awards and accomplishments, such as Dean’s List. 

2. You can follow companies that interest you or that you’re currently associated with 

On LinkedIn, you have the option of following different companies and institutions that you have an interest in working for or that you currently work for. This also shows up on your profile. By doing this, you can be up to date with any possible job openings. If you add your university to your profile, LinkedIn will automatically show you how many current students or alumni are working for any company you come across. This is an awesome way to network and ask any questions you may have about working for a certain company.

3. You make connections

My dad has always taught me that connections are key to not only succeeding in your professional life, but in any aspect of your life. Making connections on LinkedIn is probably the most important part of it, and what could help you advance the most in your professional career. Your connections could give you endorsements and recommendations that show up on your profile. Connecting with people such as your high school principal, professors, colleagues, and bosses can boost your image and show what kind of people you know and associate with professionally. 

All in all, LinkedIn is an awesome and necessary platform to use regardless of your major and future career plans. By making connections and continually updating your profile as you progress in your academic and professional career, you’ll be on your way to becoming extremely successful. 

Anel is an Elementary Education major within the Honors College at Florida International University. Her passions include beauty, music, education, and of course writing! In the future, she plans to be working as a full-time teacher and part-time makeup artist, all while obtaining her Masters degree. When she's not studying or working, you can probably find Anel shopping, watching makeup tutorials and Netflix, volunteering in a kindergarten classroom, or spending time with her family.