etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Life Hacks That Every College Student Needs To Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Ever feel like life in college is way too complicated? If you want to make it easier and your college experience smoother, keep reading to find out how to get the most out of your study time, space and life in college.

Study Hacks:

1. Snack Incentive

If you can’t find the motivation to finish the chapter that your professor assigned for class, simply give yourself a reward after you complete each paragraph. Stack up on your favorite candy or small snack and place one of each, or a little piece, at the end of every section or paragraph as a little incentive for yourself to finish it.

Picture: Author’s own

2. Unplug yourself

Getting distracted can be very easy when you are surrounded by social media and updates every other minute on your phone. If you have trouble concentrating, try downloading a blocking app called Freedom, it is available in the app store for free and It allows you to block distracting apps and notifications from popping up for a certain amount of time that you can choose.

Picture: www.idearocketanimation.com

3. Help your eyes out

Professors nowadays incorporate more online work for students. In order to make it easier on you to read from a computer, copy the material into a Word document and change the font to Times New Roman (there is a reason why this font is a must for standard paper formats) it is proven to be the easiest and fastest font to read.

Picture: www.society19.com

Organization Hacks:

1. Maximize your closet space

If you live on campus or have a small closet at home, you know it is a struggle to get all your garments to fit in one space neatly. The solution? Use can tabs to double hang your clothes hangers in order to have double the space! 

Picture: www.macgyverisms.wonderhowto.com

2. Differentiate cables

If you live on campus, you most likely have a roommate. To keep your cables such as laptop and phone charges from getting mixed up or stolen, customize yours with some decorative tape to make it stand out.

Picture: www.diyprojects.com

3. Improvise storage space

Again, if you live on campus you know the space is very limited and you have to make the most of it. Instead of having several drawers or containers around the room taking up space, simply place your bed at a higher level (this can be done in all dorm room beds) and store your drawers and extra containers under your bed.

Picture: www.pinterest.com

Décor Hacks:

1. Improvise picture frames

Remember the decorative tape? You can tape your pictures to the wall by sustaining them with the tape for a unique look that will not damage the wall; it’s also cheaper than buying several frames.

Picture: www.pinterest.com

2. Hanging pictures

If you are not a fan of the decorative tape, but still want to personalize your space with pictures, try a simple DIY picture hanger that only needs some string, thumb tacks, small clothes pins and scissors to come to life.

Picture: Author’s own

Food Hacks:

1. Maximize microwave space

If you want to heat up two bowls at the same time, simply place one of them on top of a cup or mug inside the microwave next to the other one and have your meal ready in half the time!

Picture: Author’s own

2. Mug snacks

College life can be stressful and time consuming, so cooking is often impossible some days. With mug snacks, cooking is made easy with just a few ingredients! There are tons recipes for quick meals that can be prepped with just a mug and a microwave, from breakfast to dessert you will never have to be hangry again before or after a class. For the perfect chocolate peanut butter cake follow these instructions:

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons peanut butter

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 egg

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons flour

3 tablespoons cocoa powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon baking powder

3 tablespoons chocolate chips

Directions:

Melt the butter in a separate dish and then add the peanut butter and mix it all really well. In the mug, mix together the vanilla, egg and sugar until well combined and then combine the flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder and add all of that to the mug. Then pour into the mug the peanut butter/butter mixture and mix really well. Then stir in the chocolate chips and put it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.

You can find some more microwavable recipes here: www.society19.com/microwave-mug-meal-recipes

Picture and recipe: www.yammiesnoshery.com