Style

Let’s Groove Tonight! Zendaya’s 70’s Collaboration with Tommy Hilfiger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Say goodbye to button downs and polos, and hello to popped collars and pant suits! Tommy Hilfiger parted ways from their nautical red, white and blue shades to welcome a fusion of greens, pinks and purples for their 2019 Spring Ready-to-Wear collection. He gave Zendaya and designer, Law Roach, the reigns when it came to makeup, hair and design.

Image: New York TImes

This 70’s inspired collection, in an nut shell, featured flared pants, floor length skirts, picked afros and jumpsuits galore. Showcased in the midst of Paris Fashion Week, the collection recognized a significant number of women of color of all ages, sizes and shades. This ultimately swung open the doors to inclusivity in the fashion world.

Image: New York TImes

Actress and social media star, Zendaya, who gained her popularity from Disney’s Shake it Up is the current Tommy Hilfiger global women’s brand ambassador and part time founder of the Tommy x Zendaya collaboration. After her appearance on the Vogue’s Force of Fashion conference she made it known that she wanted to introduce diversity into the fashion realm – and she definitely kept that promise!

“This is a proud and happy celebration of female beauty in all its forms, something which is as important now as it ever was before,” she said. 

Undoubtedly, the fashion show brought together a number of powerhouse black figures. The show that took place in the Comédie des Champs-Elysées brought supermodel Pat Cleveland, the first African American to appear on a vogue cover along with newcomers Winnie Harlow and Halima Aden, the first to wear a hijab to a USA Miss Minnesota Pageant. The epic night ended with a surprise appearance from style icon Grace Jones in a shimmering gold bodysuit, knee-high, maroon, leather boots and a disco-fever blazer. Zendaya’s pop of “color” and style is what the fashion world desperately needed!

Image: New York TImes

“I feel like we are paying homage to these women who changed our legacy, and who allowed me and so many others to be here,” Zendaya said.

Kalia is currently a journalism major at the University of Florida. She loves getting involved in all things fashion, jamming out to house music beats and traveling to new places. She is currently an active member of the Black Student Union and spends her leisure reading, sketching and working out. You can keep up with all the things she's involved in through Instagram @k.a.li.a.