This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Joan Collins once said, “Show me a person who has never made a mistake and I’ll show you somebody who has never achieved much.”  With finals week rearing its ugly head, everyone is stressing way more than usual. Tempers are short and tension is thick in the air. Some of you might be in danger of failing a class or are certain you will fail.

Whatever the case may be, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You failed, Kudos to you for embracing your humanity. Failure is a part of life so you must not dwell on it too long. Two or three failures right now will not dictate where you will be ten years from today. Now some of you negative Nancys might read this and say, “That’s not true because if I fail this class, then my GPA will go down and I won’t get accepted into XYZ’s graduate school.” Nothing is ever set in stone. Literally nothing. Retake the class if that’s the one you need or take another one if it will get you the same credit.

“We must somehow get comfortable with the reality of periodic failure…. Like a trip to the dentist, the thought of occasional reverses may not make us tingle with joyful anticipation, but then again, it’s not the end of the world.” – Sam Collins

It seems hard to imagine when you’re in the thick of it but college is just a blip on the radar of your life. You, yourself, and your health (both mental and physical) should be a priority. Take some time occasionally, to stop and smell the roses. Reflect on the blessings in your life, no matter how small. Most importantly, reflect on the lessons your failures have taught you.

Photo Source

It’s very important that you don’t take your life too seriously. You will never get to live in this moment ever again so enjoy it!! Revel in those exciting bouts of uncertainty and laugh at those silly little failures but most importantly, KEEP MOVING FORWARD!

Some days it will feel like you can’t breathe properly because of everything that’s weighing you down. On those days, you should get out of your head. Take a walk with your friends, watch your favorite movie that you know all the lines to, or visit a counseling center (CAPS at FIU is open five days a week and they accept walk-ins). Be open to anything that will allow you to dispel those feelings of hopelessness that settle in your gut. Above all else, stay positive. Constantly remind yourself that a failure will not destroy you nor define you and always tell yourself, and others, that things will get better. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR FINALS!

Cover Photo: https://goo.gl/images/8q9x3b

Soy Dominicana. I love movies, quotes, and everything to do with Marvel and DC. Instagram: arlenys_b Twitter: @Arlen_Burgos