This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

This season you won’t have to go too far if you are currently residing in the South to find beautiful autumnal colors on trees and go leaf peeping. Leaf peeping is the activity of traveling in the fall to view the changing color of the leaves. If you are like me and enjoy this activity, here are some places you can visit this season.

• Gatlinburg, Tennessee

According to Gatlinburg’s state official website it is mentioned that Leaf peeping season for Gatlinburg TN can start as early as mid September and transitions throughout October. Although leaf peeping starts a bit early, it suggested to visit around mid October or early November to get the “full fall color display”.

• Congaree National Park, South Carolina

The Congaree National Park located in South Carolina is about 26,276 acres of preserved nature. You will usually see at Congaree National Park that leaves usually change color around late October to early November.

• Pine Mountain- Kentucky

The Pine Mountain located in the border of Kentucky and goes through Virginia and Tennessee it is about 3,273 ft. in elevation. The time to find fall foliage is around late October to mid November similarly to the Congaree National Park.

• Dahlonega, Georgia

Dahlonega Georgia is home to around 6,773 people. It is part of the northern region of Georgia and is about 1,450 ft. in elevation. The time to find fall foliage in Dahlonega Georgia is around late October to early November.

• Shenandoah National Park, Virginia

Shenandoah National Park is around 75 miles away from Washington D.C. According to its website it is home to cascading waterfalls, breathtaking vistas, fields of wildflowers and much more. It is approximately 200,000 acres of preserved nature. The time to find fall foliage is around late October to early November similarly to Dahlonega Georgia leaf peeping time.

• Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina & Virginia

In Blue Ridge Parkway, you will start seeing fall foliage around mid October. Although that is the case, the best time to go leaf peeping in Blue Ridge Parkway would actually be early November.

Kaitlin is a current senior majoring in Marketing '22.