Lauren Perez: The Belle of the Ball

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Name: Lauren Perez

Year: 2013 Senior

Major: Business Management

Minor: Hospitality

This weeks Campus Celebrity is Lauren Perez! This senior is as sweet as can be and is truly devoted to everything she sets her mind to do, be it social or academic. The gal with the heart of gold is deeply involved in ingraining the FIU spirit to newcomers- and who better? Sometimes, you have to wonder how Lauren did it all. Well wonder no more! Read to find tips on finals from a well-seasoned veteran (aka:senior) and how Panther Camp has shaped her life.

1. What are you involved with on campus?

Panther Camp has been one of the most impactful involvements I have had on campus. As a 2013 Panther Camp Facilitator, I was able to reach out to 100s of students and help make their college experience a memorable one. I am grateful to now be a part of our 2014 Inaugural Spring Camp as a facilitator again. This is a program I hold dear to my heart and it has changed my college career immensely. I am also an active sister in my Greek organization, Alpha Xi Delta. I love being able to support my sisters and all their achievements and get the same support back. They are truly the backbone to all that I have been able to accomplish here at FIU, and I continue to strive to make my organization proud by representing them the best way possible.

2. What is the goal of Panther Camp?

Panther Camp’s mission is to give incoming students the opportunity to realize what a great university FIU is and all that it has to offer. It is a great way to meet new people, build long-lasting relationships with other FIU students, and instill school spirit that can make your college experience that much better. 

3.  What are some activities done at Panther Camp?

Without giving too much away, campers will not only get to meet hundreds of other students in large and small group settings, but engage in fun activities and team builders. They will get to learn about FIU traditions, learn how to become a student leader, learn tips on how to make your college experience successful, gain school pride, and most importantly, they will get to eat the famous “positive papas” (potatoes) that all the campers talk about.

4. Care to tell us more about the Inaugural Spring Camp?

Our 2014 Inaugural Spring Camp will be similar to the regular camp sessions we hold over the summer. Except this time, both freshmen and transfers will be able to attend camp at the same time. They will be able to interact with one another but the presentations given at camp will be held separately to cater specifically for the freshmen and transfers. These campers will get to experience the Panther Camp magic that students over the summer are talking about.

5. As a senior, any tips for Finals?

After all the finals I have been through, I found that the best thing you can do first is to take a minute for yourself and take a deep breath. Make a “to do list” and jot down what you need to study and everything that needs to get done. Finding a quiet spot to keep focused and relaxed, at the same time, is always a must for me. As long as you keep calm, you’ll do a lot better than expected.